Black Sun Coral... Its ALIVE...

daddio

I have had a heck of a year with my tank. Added more rock and had a whole new cycle, hair algae, etc. To make a long arduous story short, I had given up on my black sun coral that the hair algae killed and threw the skeleton in the sump as an expensive piece of rubble. This past weekend I was doing some sump maintenance and noticed that the black leathery part of the sun coral has started to regrow.

I was wanting some opinions on the best way to nurse it back if it is even possible. Should I leave it alone? Move it to the display where I can watch it better? There are no polyps so I wouldn't even know how to feed it.

I find it amazing that even when left unattended and unfed (directly), that it is still resilient enough to cling to life. I swear I looked over the skeleton before I tossed it for any vestige of life and saw none. I would like to see if anyone has ever had anything like this happen and if they had any tips.

This is what I love about this hobby!

Midnight

I would leave it be if it is starting to heal down there then it might be best to leave it alone. Hope it bounces back