Black PVC

angnak

Does anyone know wher I can get some black or dark PVC. I know they have the flexible kind but I need the straight kind. This is for my CLS and I am to impatient to wait for coraline to grow on it!! :D

wooddood

the wood dude
i have seen it, but not at lowes or home depot. i would check your local plumbing supply place i think it's your best bet. good luck.

Caterham

You have 2 options. :cool:

Option number one is to get some schedule 80 PVC pipe. You can get this at Lowe's or Home Depot in the common household sizes. Schedule 80 is dark grey in color. They do this so that one can differentiate between schedule 40 and schedule 80 by looking at the pipe. If not, folks would have to measure the wall thickness of the pipe to determine. Schedule 80 has a much thicker wall.

Option number two would be ABS pipe. ABS pipe is commonly used in RV's and for non pressure applications (drain - vent) in some municipalities. ABS pipe is not to code in many areas and can be tough to find. It is, however, black as the ace of spades and would be perfect for your application.

Schedule 80 PVC = Dark Grey

ABS plastic pipe = BLACK

HTH

Most places that sell's stuff for water wells or gas, should have it, nd useually it comes in a roll and can be a real pain to straighten out or try a mobile home dealer. HTH

wooddood

the wood dude
hunterd_67 i think he said thet he wanted rigid pipe. if you cant find it in black i would use the schedule 80 as mentioned above. also you may want to check this site out, i ordered my starboard from them and they shipped very fast. www.usplastics.com hope this helps you.

wildcat

What about the PVC pipe that is used for electrical conduit. States schedule 40 and it a neutral grey.

Would this work for you? Its available at Lowes and HD reasonably. Schedule 80 can get expensive particularly the fitting. Overkill for our applications.

angnak

Thanks for the replies. I like that site wooddood. Thanks. I might get the clear pipe, kind of pricey though.

BoomerD

You could always get marine grade epoxy paint of the color you want. I'd wait at least 24 hours after you painted it to put it in the tank though...

Dracunculus

You could also color it with a permanent marker (e.g. a sharpie). I have seen recent posts on this on ReefCentral, and it does not seem to be toxic to the tank. You might want to double check with one of the chemists around here, but the person who used it did it on the word of Randy Holmes-Farley, and reported no ill effects.