Black Mangrove Riparium Kit - $18 shipped

Black Mangrove Riparium Kit - $18 shipped

This is a live plant + accessory offer for one of my favorite riparium plants, black mangrove (Avicennia germinans).

Black mangrove is a coastal zone plant that lives in brackish estuaries. It can grow well in seawater, brackish water or freshwater. Like many other mangrove plants it has a number of interesting adaptations that suit it to life in the estuary environment. Here is a black mangrove in a riparium planter that has grown several pneumatophores, which are root-like vertical projections thought to help with oxygen uptake in saturated muddy soils.

27-iii-11-avicennia-germinans-ii-s.jpg

I just received some fresh black mangrove propagules that were lawfully collected in Florida. Mangrove propagules function like seeds, but they have extra stored energy and are large in size.

21-i-09-mangrove-ii-s.jpg

Riparium planters are a great way to grow mangroves! If you plant a mangrove tree directly into a fish tank you run a real risk of the plant eventually bursting the enclosure seams with its roots, but the riparium planter will keep the roots safely contained. The riparium planter also makes it easy to move your mangrove tree around and with its somewhat restricted volume helps to keep the tree somewhat smaller.

Here are the items included in this For Sale offer:

• TWO black mangrove propagules
  • Riparium Hanging Planter (planter cup, suction cups, hydroton, planter screen)
  • Riparium Planter Gravel
  • Detailed instruction sheet
  • USPS Priority shipping
I can send the black mangrove riparium kit to you for $18 shipped. Take two kits for $31 shipped.

2-VII-12-tank-II-s.jpg

Cheers,

hydrophyte

Use several of these mangrove kits together to help to purify the aquarium water. The roots are mostly contained in the riparium planters, but the planters have several holes so the aquarium water diffuses through them and through the plant root zone.

This picture shows the 3-pack of riparium planters; remember that this single kit includes just one planter with gravel.

27-VII-09-small-hanging-planter-II-s.jpg

I get a lot of questions about those suction cups. When I figured out the riparium planters several years ago I put a good deal of effort into testing and finding the best possible suctions cup. This clear suction is made of a soft vinyl plastic. It is thicker than the ones usually provided with other aquarium accessories and it holds much better. I have had some of these suction cups in continuous use for more than two years and still holding very well.

so would they be good for an HOB aquafuge? how tall do they get

If you could shine some light on them they would be very good for an HOB. They do not need super bright light and light from a simple clamp fixture with a spiral compact fluorescent bulb would be plenty. Black mangrove is a tree that can grow to thirty feet tall, but you can maintain them at around 14" tall with pruning. The riparium planter also helps to limit the size of the planter.

DaveK

so would they be good for an HOB aquafuge? how tall do they get
Keep in mind that with mangroves, you are planting a tree. Given time and space, they can get huge. Ask yourself if this is something you want. Personally I'd consider a HOB refugium a good place to start a few mangroves, but not large enough to really let them grow.

Keep in mind that with mangroves, you are planting a tree. Given time and space, they can get huge. Ask yourself if this is something you want. Personally I'd consider a HOB refugium a good place to start a few mangroves, but not large enough to really let them grow.

It is easy to maintain black mangroves as smaller specimens with occasional pruning. I have a couple of trees here that are more than three years old and only ~18" tall. The riparium planter holds only one cup of substrate and also helps to limit their size.