Black film covering everything

Just went to rinse out my sock in sumo when I noticed everything was tinted black. Water wasn't clear in dt and almost black in fuge/sump. Sock is completely black. It's like carbon dust. Skimmer is foaming black. I do run carbon but it been in for 2 wks now. Can't possibly be give dust now us I rinse it very heavy before I run it.
Any ideas. My other issue tread is diatom nightmare if you need to be refreshed. I have been battling Dino.

I need gills

Has been struck by the ban stick
Cyano? Post a pic. Is it on rocks or anything or completely free floating dust

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cyano? Post a pic. Is it on rocks or anything or completely free floating dust

Basically cloudy water and in sump/fuge glass and Everything in there. The sock was totally black and when rinsed pure black rinsing off. I'll get pic ASAP

I need gills

Is it sludgy or like this http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae/bba1.jpg

No its not like that but like dust build up. Its like when you rinse off carbon before using it.The black water that comes out is exactly what it was like when i rinsed off my sock. Here's a couple pics. 1 is the sock just as i removed it from fuge and the other is the foam in skimmer cup

Attachments

• black foam skimmer.JPG
    black foam skimmer.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 43
  • black sock.JPG
    black sock.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 45

I need gills

It really looks like the beginning of black beard algae either way it's an algae, you should get a uv sterilizer and teat with excel
send pic of substrate so I can be sure

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Odds are it us from carbon. Any possibility of carbon breaking lose in the tank and getting ground up by your pumps?

I need gills

Odds are it us from carbon. Any possibility of carbon breaking lose in the tank and getting ground up by your pumps?

That or crushing carbon media? Oh didn't see the ground up part :)

I dont think it could happen. I have had the carbon in there for 2 weeks and no sign of this plus any pcs would have to pass fuge and 2 chambers to get into pumps. Unless carbon just mixed up and leech out into tank. Will it hurt anything?Already dealing with enough problems with the dino battle

engineer goby

Just suck it up and do a water change. I haven't had a single piece of carbon in my tank in almost 2 years and everything is doing great.

engineer goby

Algae growth is perfectly normal and a sign of a healthy tank. Treatments are not a good idea, finding the source of the excess nutrients is the key to success.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
this is from dosing peroxide while using carbon, its a strong oxidizer and has dissolved the carbon.

DaveK

I agree. Seems almost certainly to be carbon dust. Either the carbon was not originally rinsed clean or it's getting broken up by something.

To try and save the filter sock, try running it through a cycle in your washing machine, with out using any soap.

A big water change and lots of clean up are in order. Remove any carbon for now.

Luukosian

It happens, actually glad it's not a problem in saltwater...that stuff can be a nightmare sometimes.