Black and White Heniochus Butterfly

coppessfam

I just purchased a Black and White Heniochus Butterfly last night. I am still new to the reef tank. So i didn't realize they are not reef friendly. Should I try and return the Butterfly or will it be OK around the Zoos and a Feather Duster I currently have in my tank and are doing well. Next time I will know better. Live and learn I guess. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BoomerD

I know several people who keep heni's in their reefs. As you noted, they may pick at zoanthids and most likely will rid your tank of those nasty feather dusters...;) but may also help with aiptasia.
They aren't considered to be easy fish to keep, but definitely are easier than the moorish idols they resemble. I hope you have a large tank with lots of live rock. They'll need it to survive long-term.

Heniochus

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I have put schools in larger tanks & they seem to fare rather well. feather dusters are definely dust though.

panmanmatt

I have one in my reef tank and can attest that he likes to taste my zoas. he will take 1 polyp off every colony when I first add them, after that he leaves them alone. He also has not touched a single feather duster and I must have close to a hundred of those little ones in the tank.
Guess like anything else, it depends on the individual fish.

Jake

I had one about 20 years ago back when undergravel and large dead coral pieces were the norm. He was great, cool fish, ate great for a few years till major tank crash. Can't offer any advise on his reef nipping skills though.