Biowheel/ Nitrates ???

andy12265

Hey all, i just realized that with the crushed coral substrate i have, i have a biowheel...both of which are producing and keeping nitrates....i plan to switch to an overflow in the new future and i was wondering if i should take out the biowheel filter?....or just remove the biowheels?...also plan on replacing CC with a sandbed.

Thanks

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Andy, go slowwwww,the biowheel may be able to convert to a small fuge, if you take all out at once you will have a major upset. Figure out what your plan will be and post it, you'll get lots of help.Steve

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
If your going to do it all at once, thats probably a good idea. I would suspect the tank is going to do a cycle and would be a little hard on your tank buddies.Steve

lcstorc

Be sure the quarrantine has completely cycled first or you will have the same problem there.
Just my 2c.

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well, i plan to place the livestock into my quarantine..then go from there with the above stuff

Thats what I would do in your situation. I would make all the changes at once as long as all livestock is removed. It would also be a good time to add LR to the tank, while it is cycling it will give the rock a chance to cure, just make sure to provide enough flow and aggresive skimming during the curing process. You may also want to keep the lights off at least most of the time while the curing/cycling is taking place to help keep algae under control.