BioCube 14 LED lights

klok95330

Looking at buying these for my setup I'm making. Anyone suggest one that I should get that are reliable and relatively cheap. Its for a BC14 I was thinking 24 LED's 12 white/12 blue.

How hard is it to assemble? The tank isn't running at this point but will be shortly. So I'm thinking of other issues since the wife gave me the green light.

Also on a side note, any ideas for the sump area? Im only going to have a clown (maybe a six line wrasse or some other small fish, maybe a scooter blenny) and some kind of cleaner shrimp. I want corals Im just not sure of what exactly I want. Thinking of getting a bio cube pack online and have it shipped. So I'm not sure if I should go the fuge route or what? All ideas welcome

Blndbunny

I have a biocube 14 and I am running mine under 12 3watt LEDs. Mine were done by Dave of nano-box reef. I was not able to do a retrofit myself (electricity and I don't have a good relationship, nor is time on my side). I have had these lights on my tank now for a little over a month and I have softies, LPS, ans SPS all growing well. My lights are dimmable and I have them running at a little over 50% at their peak in the cycle

In the middle chamber I run a small fuge. I personally picked out all of my live rock from a LFS, most if mine is rather porous and coral skeletons

My tank is stocked with a chocolate occy clown, a mandarin, a maxi mini anemone, 6 sexy shrimp a handful of snails and a bunch of corals

klok95330

So your only running 12 LED's? Everything seems fine with that? I was thinking 24 just for more light. Trying to think of cost efficiency. But if its not required I may just add it to the a wish list for later on. Going to be buying next week so I need opinions and suggestions.

I was thinking fuge, but I wont be having a huge bioload either, so I may or may not go the fuge route. I dont mind doing water changes weekly.

chipmunkofdoom2

Ecoexotic strips are really just for supplementing. They're on par with PC bulbs. Okay, but not great.

As for LED count, I would stick with 12. 24 would be overkill for a tank your size. If you're unhappy with the light you can add more, but I have a sneaking suspicion you will be quite pleased with 12. Nobody really seems to comprehend how bright these things are if they've never seen them in real life before. These are not the little LEDs that light up your TV's remote when you press a button... these are many magnitudes more powerful than that.

klok95330

I just pulled the trigger and bought the 24 LED DIY lighting kit from aquastyle.com. Nice price ships from hong kong (of course the chinese make this lol wish it was a US company but oh well. ) 37 bucks for shipping, a little high but 99 bucks for a 24 led diy kit is nice. We'll keep you guys posted. Waiting for it to get here. Now... see what the wife thinks... shes bout to have a baby in 2 weeks. Hope she doesn't flip her lid lol she said i could do it. We'll see lol For 99 bucks I just couldnt pass it up. If the 24 is too much I'll drop it down some. We'll keep you guys posted.

klok95330

Looking around online and I haven't found anything bad about this company. So I'm crossing my fingers. I needed the push to start the process. Now I get to :p

klok95330

Thanks. Its only a hundred bucks. I mean id like to spend 300 for a nice name brand american one but well... lets face it. I aint got that kinda money just chilling somewhere. So I'm hoping this works out. I've read around a bit and havent seen anything negative about em. So, I'm hoping.