Bio14 light schedule????

nnieman

What is the best schedule to run lights on a Bio cube 14 with stock lighting? I want to upgrade but dont want to pay the 300$ for an upgrade at the same time. I have been running all on for 12 hours and just the blues for 12. Should I be shutting all off so just the led "moon" lights would be on? What do ya think, or what do you do?

mps9506

What kind of livestock do you have in your tank?

All your lights should be off for the night. I usually do someything like a 10-12 hour photoperiod for the actinic lights and 5-8 hours for the daylight bulbs and the LED's can be on all day or just turned on after the other ones are off.
So this would leave you "blue" or actinic bulbs on for about 2 hours before and after the daylight bulbs cut off.

djbacon

My reef is all coral and one fish.

Run actinics for 10 and PC 8hours. working great. moon lights are on the remaining 14 hours. If you are gong to upgrade the lights I would suggest the 3,24 from nanotuners for $70 before a $300 upgrade. Even the nanotuner guys will tell you though, the upgrade for the 3rd PC light is not that amazing. As far as nanos go, the BC14 gets more watts per gallon with the stock lights than the BC29 or any of the aquapods. 48w at 10k is plenty for softies, LPS etc.

nnieman

Ok I think I have it. I have been running the actinics all day(24 hours) and then for about 12 hours I turn on the PC as well. I guess I should only have on 1 set at a time, and then turn them all off but the led's?

So does this sound good,
Antinics from 8-6,turn off antinics turn on PC from 6-12, and moon from 12-8.

djbacon

No no, think you misunderstood. Whne the lights are off they should ALL be off (except the leds which provide no useful light)

My schedule is

Actinics on at 12pm
PC on at 1pm
PC off at 9pm
Actinics off at 10pn -

This allows you to simulate a dawn and dusk effect