Bio Pellets ?

Koestby

Hey guys...

When I started my tank, I did set it up with a mediarack (RSM 250) containing ChemiPure Elite x2 and Purigen x1. 4-5 months ago i started a pellets reactor, and I cant see that its working properly. Got a nice flow and good tumble, but my No3 wont drop under 5ppm. Being a fairly new hobbyist I am afraid to take out the rack and only run the reactor, if it is the chemipure and purigen that holds back the pellets? There is alot of stuff in the reactor, but it doesnt seem too eat the pellets.

Any views on this ? =)

My recent testresults..

S.G : 1.025
No3 : 5 ppm
Po4 : 0.10 ppm
Ph : 8.18
Ca : 370 ppm
Kh : 9.3 dkh
Mg : 1320 ppm

DaveK

How long have you had the biopellet reactor set up? They take quite some time to become functional.

You can always take out the ChemiPure Elite and the Purigen and see how the tank does. If things move in the wrong direction, it's easy enough to put them back. On an established tank, the changes to nitrate and phosphate don't happen that fast, but if your worried, keep some new water ready, so you can make a large water change as needed.

Koestby

Hey @DaveK. The pellets have been running atleast 4-5 months, and I`ve always used CPE and Purigen, I got to do a WC today so I might pull em out and see what happens... Scary though =/

Koestby

Okey, I`ve just done my WC. And figured that I would give the pellets a go alone. Took out the ChemiPure and Purigen. Will monitor over a period of time

Frankie

RS STAFF
How often are you doing water changes and how much %?
I recommend doing weekly water changes of 20% This should show you good results within one month.
Once you have your parameters dialed in you can cut back to 10% weekly.

Koestby

Thanks @Frankie, I do my WC once a week, usually I change out about 10-15%..

Will try your suggestion next week and so forth.. Do you think this will speed up the pellets or just keep my No3 at a low ?

Frankie

RS STAFF
It will lower your No3.
So, you have good water changing habits.
I would do two large water changes of 50% once a week and then do 20% weekly for one month.
How is the flow in the tank? Blow off the rocks prior to doing the water changes. You want to remove as much detritus as possible.
Once you have control of you nitrates (0ppm) you can go back to 15% weekly water changes.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Also, I cannot stress the importance of mixing your salt prior to using it. Roll the bag or bucket around the floor for a while to be sure any settling from shipping is evenly spread through the batch.

Koestby

I got two Mp10W on opposite sides running Reefcrest mode, on anti sync. Do also run the Ecosmart Nutrient Transport Mode from time to time. They run at about 50%. Before every WC I use a turkey baster( blaster ? ) over the rocks so detrius gets in the watercolumn.

So carrying out this big WC, will over time eliminate the use of BP reactor or should this still be running ? I like the idea of the BP in the tank ..

Sorry for being a newbie, but should I do two 50% WC once a week for one month and then change to the other? Or am I slow :p