Big bully

Hey all,
I've had my current 5 fish in my tank for over 6 months now, with no recent additions. Up until now, all fish have got along 'swimmingly' (excuse the pun)
Just in the last couple of days, i noticed my green-blue chromis was missing, and after a quick search, found him sulking in a hole. I realised he hadn't been out in a couple of days, and usually he is an extremely active fish. I kept an eye on him a while and noticed my blue tang has been bullying him by harassing him every time he tries to leave his hole!
The chromis has moved locations a couple of times, and is now sitting in a corner of the tank behind my cbs who seems to be fending off any further harassment by the tang. I think my poor chromis is missing most of his tail fin by now, and hasn't eaten in a couple of days.

I would say that catching and removing either fish will be near impossible. What else can I do?
Also, what is likely to have caused this change in behaviour in the first place?

cheers

DaveK

Please tell us more about your system, especially it's size and exact livestock. Please note that "blue tang" can refer to several different fish in the aquarium trade. Could you be more specific?

Ok...
Its a 55g reef aquarium with a 15g fuge/sump.
Livestock are:
2 osc clowns
2 bta's (original one split)
1 chromis (victim)
1 coral beauty
1 hippo tang (bully)
1 cbs

lots of live rock, places to hide etc.

I use NSW and all water parameters are 'optimal'.

cheers

cbrownfish

Hippo/Regal Tangs are known for growing rapidly in captivity and they are LARGE fish in nature. Did you know that they can grow in excess of 12" long? Essentially, you have the "big fish in a small pond" syndrome going on. The fish is doing what it is programmed to do - compete for space and eliminate competition for food.

I would recommend getting this fish into a larger set up by selling it to someone with a large set up or giving it away to the same.

DaveK

Now that the species of tang has been identified, and the size of the tank known, I must agree with cbrownfish. The tang has got to go or you need a much larger tank.

I really like hippo tangs, and I hope you can upgrade your tank. I have one in my 125 gal reef, and it's so timid I have named it "chicken of the sea". You just never know what an individual fish will do.