Bicolor Blennies

TomV

I took a trip with my daughter yesterday and we were checking out the LFS (after the barbie run at the toy store! :) ). I was watching a Bicolor Blenny and they are definitely weird characters! But, they are totally enchanting! Anyone have any interesting anecdotes about them?

I definitely want one for my new tank!

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Wife had one in her 20 gallon mini-reef tank and they do have a personality of their own. Pretty cool how they will watch you! :)

yeah man they do, kinda wierd... you watch them they watch right back, then they get wpooked haul butt all over the place land and watch you again.. its amusing to say the least

ReefLady

Staff member
Characters, for sure. ;)

122702garla.jpg

032903omon.jpg

:D

jks1

Ive had bicolors before too. Great fish, esp if you have kids- they love them. They can tend to be a little on the aggressive side though...

ReefLady

Staff member
Love 'em! I have two now. One of their quirks: They'll have a hole or crevice they like to peer out of and observe the tank. But the cool part is, they like to swim past their hole and back in. Pretty funny to watch, the first few months I liked to make the "beep beep beep" backing up sound. :)

3cuteblenny9375web-med.jpg

mps9506

I got one for my tank around the beginning of march.
Very cool little dude. Constantly grazing for some algae.
It is bvery cool to watch them dart around then back up into the hole.
He is the only fish in my tank so I don't know about any agression issues.
Mike

ReefLady

Staff member
aggression issues are really only a problem with similar-looking fish- possibly royal grammas, other bicolor blennies, and I would suspect firefish gobies.

Other than that, they're a fish that can hold their own and don't take any crap from aggressive tankmates, but don't really go on the offensive either. A good personality to have in my tanks. :)

NaH2O

Contributing Member
This is one fish that is definately on my list of "must haves" for my "soon to be filled" tank! I love them!

addict

The 'only' thing negative I've ever heard about Bi-color Blennies is that they tend to be mantle-nippers... so if you plan on having any clams in your tank in the future that may be something to consider.
We had a Sailfin Algae Blenny for the good part of a year, and it was a great character... the only problem was the cat also thought it was a great thing to try to catch. When we upgraded to the new tank, we figured that cat claws and acrylic didn't go well together, so it was either get rid of the cat or the fish... :D
I think mojoreef has one that likes to swim into his CLS while it's switched off, then when it kicks on it rockets the blenny across the tank like it's being shot out of a cannon... :D

TomV

Well, I went down and rescued the one I saw at Petco. He seems pretty healthy and took to my established tank pretty quick! He first went around all the live rock inspecting all the holes. He tried a couple out. He tried some ledges.. and settled in the hole in the big centerpiece live rock.

I was worried about the bully Clarkii at first because he started showing the blenny too much attention....BUT, when he got too friendly around the blenny's adopted home, he got chased off!! You could actually see that the Clarkii was totally taken aback by someone standing up to him! LOL! So, what I will probably do is leave the Bicolor in the 10 and move the Clarkii to the 29 when it cycles. The Bicolor has REALLY gotten attached to that center rock and is munching my hair algae like there is no tomorrow!

TomV

Wow! Thes little guys can find ALL the holes in your live rock.. then find a way into them, no matter how small! Sheesh! He has torn a lot of the hair algae off the rock. He tears it and then throws it! Sound normal? Weird stuff!!

"I claim this hole as my home!"

TomV

"Or maybe this one which I...don't...quite...fit..into. But, I'll hang out in it anyway!"

:D

ReefLady

Staff member
TomV, I must say your enthusiasm for the hobby is inspiring. You're going to make a great keeper for the animals in your care.

That is a cute blenny. Just remember, what you saw as a "rescue" from petco, they saw as a "sale" and will probably be ordering another to take its place. Not getting on you... I've actually experienced one Petco where the fish romm manager was very involved and passionate about the fish they sold. Just try not to think of it as a "rescue"... better to buy from places who take care of their fish in the first place.

Cheers,

Travis