Beware of gifts!

SaltyQueen

I actually just purchased a new Kyocera phone that is equipped with GPS. It is now standard & required by the FCC that all phones be equipped with it, but it can't be activated unless you sign a release. This way, if I'm abducted, my husband can sign a release & they'll be able to find where I am. They started doing this because of safety issues after 9/11.

BoomerD

No wonder my wife always knows when I've been fish shopping!!!:laughroll :laughroll :laughroll

wooddood

the wood dude
i think it's scary.i dont think i want people knowing where i am all the time and who else is tracking you?things that make you say hmmm.

Witfull

i dont like that at all, with the way web sites are hacked, a burglar could possibly see if you are home, how far away you are, and how long they can spend robbing you. the idea of big brother tapping into it too, 9 gov. -corp)someone following your steps and then trying to extrapellate what your doing.

ScottT1980

Just more infringement of our personal privacy...a bit scary to me as well (unless perhaps I was a father).

Take er easy
Scott T.

SaltyQueen

the only time I can see it as being helpful is if someone were to be abducted. It's pretty creepy to think that someone could be tracking your whereabouts, but, like I said, the feature isn't activated unless you sign a release for it to be. It's just an option that's included in all new cell phones, but doesn't actually function unless you give the OK for it to be activated.

DICK

SaltyQueen, I just can't trust my privacy to a signature. How can i be sure it won't be active?
Witfull brings another good point I hadn't thought of.
And if I abduct someone, from now on I'll throw away their cell phone;)
BoomerD, when you go to places you are not suppossed to ( fish store, strip club, etc...), "forget" to turn on your phone
:D

ReefLady

Staff member
This is funny, because over a year ago I started doing ads for an NEC phone that recently launched. One of the features was this GPS tracking, so your friends could see if you were "in the neighborhood." I hated it then, hate it now. GPS is cool to have in general, but it should be one-way- I know where the heck I am if I need it, no one else does.

The feature on this NEC phone could be "turned off" by the owner, but like you all, I don't believe or trust that.

mnreefman

lol, this is NOT cool..... dang they got my finger prints on file... why do they need to follow me now....