Best tank setup for LPS

tommyp

Hey everyone,

Just trowning this out there. My tank is mainly LPS/softies. I was wondering if there is an ideal setup for LPS. SPS tends to need high turnover rates but the info I can find on LPS (frogspawn) etc. says that they like current that just sways their tenticles.

If you were going to setup an ideal LPS tank what would you do? 5x, 10x, 20x, turnover? Lighting? I am just wondering what has made your LPS grow the best.

One of my frogspawns doesn't seem to extend all that much anymore but is growning many new heads. Other frogspawn is very puffy.

Thanks

Tom

CAT

I have lps and softies. Current should be gentle ~10 times turnover. My lighting is double pc bulbs (130 watts for a 2 foot tank), and I feed them directly a couple of times a week plus whatever they get when the fish are fed everyday. My calcium runs between 350-400ppm. HTH

NaH2O

Contributing Member
The best way to get your LPS to grow large is to feed them yellow tangs, like my sister did (albeit by accident):

CAT

Originally posted by tommyp
cool,

how do you have your flow setup? PHs? return pump? Scwd powersweep?

Thanks
Tom

I have a mag 5 return from the fuge and a powerhead at the back of the tank. The flow just swirls around the tank (a bowfront) nicely. I've found that the hammer and bubble coral don't expand much if the flow is too strong. The mushrooms will also stay small and/or detach if the current is too strong. The trumpet, xenia and star polyps don't seem to mind a stronger current though. Quite a balancing act actually... ;)