Best submersable circulation pump?

jimeluiz

I just listened to another podcast from Talking Reef and it got me thinking about buying a backup submersable pump. (Actually, the podcast conversation suggested that submersables are less than desireable over time and are doomed to fail. I've had mine for nearly four years without a problem - knock wood.)

So just in case, I think I'll buy a replacement pump and have it at the ready.

My question is: what has been your experience with submersables and can you offer your recommendation for the "best" submersable circulation pump? My setup has scant space under the tank for anything but a pump I can put inside the sump, so I'm not really looking for external recommendations.

I've been using an "Aqua Globe" AQ-6000. I've never come across another person who has one, but it has been trouble free.

Ideas about a replacement? Thanks.

prow

i like the sedra pumps. i have had many many pump and the sedras lose less headpressure than any other submersable pump, very very quite. i have a few of these new in the box sitting around. i have two tanks going now both with sedras. one is about 10 years old, still works like new. the other is about 3 years old and also running great. if i can i will always buy these pumps. they are a little more in price but sooo worth it IMO anyway.

mps9506

I've had good luck with my dolphin and eheim pumps.
not a big fan of the rio's, aqua clear aquatic (pro clear), danner (mag drive).

jimeluiz

prow - wow! ten years and still running. That's impressive. The radio interview I listened to made me much less confident, but your experience is a good balance. I'll look into the sedra pumps. Thanks.

i have gen-x pumsp very quiet but my ehiem is kicking the butt out of it lots of head pressure and works all the time ive also had friends that have ran them for over 15 years from fresh water to saltwater and still working like when they bought it. i currently have a mag on my frag tank and i hate it so when ever i get some money and the wife doesnt take it for her crap ill go out and buy a ehiem. expensive but freakin sweet is all i have to say.

prow

jimeluiz said:
prow - wow! ten years and still running. That's impressive. The radio interview I listened to made me much less confident, but your experience is a good balance. I'll look into the sedra pumps. Thanks.
yeah they are sweat pumps. kinda hard to find for some reason. info on the net on them is hard to come by too, dont know why. but there a few places that have them. the one i have had for 10 years is the 12000(1200gph) i run it at almost 5' high with about 1.5' in lenght of plumbing. i tested the flow and it was right at 1150gph. little head loss. did this about a month ago, just bought a chiller so needed to know for sure. my skimmer is a ASM G3, an awsome skimmer, they come with sedra pumps.
about 6 months ago the LFS started to carry them, i bought 5 more. have them still in the box just waiting till i need them.

BoomerD

Actually, Gen-X does make/market submersibles, but I'm not sure how good they might be. I know from personal experience, their heaters are horrible...
I've had great luck with the Sen brand of pumps for several years. I have one now that I use in my above-ground pool for misc. stuff...(fountain, draining, etc) rated for 700 gph, it puts out much more pressure than a comparable Danner Mag-Drive or Rio, and I've yet to have one fail on me yet...They can be also be used as external pumps, and work pretty well in that capacity. Built like the Sedra's and submersible Dolphin pumps, they are built by/sold by Won Bros.
They are fairly large however, and take up quite a bit of real estate in a sump.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say anything positive about the Aqua-Globe pumps...They have always been rated lower than a Rio for quality and reliability. Glad to hear you've had better luck with them than most....