best protein skimmer for my tank

turn00

i am looking for a protein skimmer for my 26 gallon tank. i am going to go with a HOB. what my best option. price should not be a problem. thanks

btw, i will probably go with a HOB

Last edited:

mps9506

Think this is suitable?
MACNA-22006.jpg

Charlie97L

man, the smart aleck-ness continues.

turn00, aqua c is going to be the best for ya. if you want to do hang on back, get the remora, if you want to do in-sump, get the urchin.

no need to go pro, those can handle up to 75 gallons or more depending on the pump, regular model will be just fine for ya.

or you could be like me and run an asm mini on a 10g with a 10g sump. :-D that's MY plan. haha.

BoomerD

The Remora is possibly the best small HOB skimmer available. While I don't think it's very good for anything bigger than about 50 gallons, it would be great for the 26 gallon tank.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
BoomerD said:
The Remora is possibly the best small HOB skimmer available. While I don't think it's very good for anything bigger than about 50 gallons, it would be great for the 26 gallon tank.

Ditto ^^^if your planning to go bigger in the future the get the AquaC Remora Pro.

Charlie97L

i think that'll be cost prohibitive... new they run about 400, don't they? that's about twice the price of the aqua c.

mps9506

What about a Lifereef HOB venturi skimer? Kind of big and ugly, but I hear they work well. Not sure on the price, I've never ran any HOB skimmer myself.

BoomerD

The LifeReef HSVS-2-24 skimmer is a very good one, but will also run in the $400. range...It has the advantage of being easily converted to sump or external use however.

aay.sized.jpg

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
BoomerD said:
The LifeReef HSVS-2-24 skimmer is a very good one, but will also run in the $400. range...It has the advantage of being easily converted to sump or external use however.

aay.sized.jpg

That looks like a real good skimmer, what pump were you using, is it a needlewheel and what size is the skimmer rated for ?

mps9506

My lifereef used a mazzei style venturi on the outlet of the pump for bubble production. It was a great skimmer but HUGE. Not sure if the hang on uses the same system, but I'm pretty sure Jeff doesn't use needlewheels on his skimmers.
Didn't realize they cost that much though. I picked my 3 foot tall Lifereef up for about 150 minus pump. Probably the most solid constructed skimmer I have ever used.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I bought a Mazzei type venturi but it woudn't work on my needlewheel pump which pump do you use on your lifereef skimmer Mike ?

BoomerD

NOT needlewheel pumps. Strictly venturi units...IIRC, I was using either the Stock (at the time) Rio 3100, (now Mag-9) or a Rio Hyperflow 20 for that skimmer. VERY well built units. My ONLY complaint would be that it's tough to clean the body of the skimmer thru the neck His larger units come with flanged construction so you can take them apart.
http://www.lifereef.com/retail.html#vs2series

For more info on them:
http://www.lifereef.com/venturi.html

Edit...BTW, this skimmer will handle 200+ gallons easily. Definitely overkill for a 26 gallon tank...