Best or Personal Favorite Tang for a 125 gallon?

Talon33

I am looking into a tang possibly two. Any suggestions for best tang for this size tank or ones that could coexist if introduced simutaneously. I know everyone goes for the yellow tang. Is this best one for this size tank. What about sailfins, yellow kole eye, Blue, any others that may work?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Personally my favorite is a naso, I also like the powder blue tang but they are ich magnets. Currently I have a purple tang which is gorgeous.

I wanted 1 tang and that was for algae control......almost went with a kole/bristle tooth tang.

Although your 125 is long enough it's not "that" big in the tang world so I won't recommend the naso but the kole, sailfin (ish), shouldn't be bad. I think a kole and a purple introduced at the same time (or purple last) would be a nice combo.

Choff

I love my kole tang and I will be adding a purple at some point (along with a massive reshape to assist with the introduction of a 2nd tang) in my 150

Sent using Tapatalk 2

LSUFireGal

I have a scopas tang and although he isn't much to look at he makes up for it with personality and charm. He is never hidden, he interacts with me and the kids through the glass and he doesn't bother any of my other fish at all.

CBE6F230-196B-47D7-8CE6-49C40CA8CDDE-1833-0000022E3646DD3F.jpg

Snelly40

can never go wrong with the flash of the yellow tang, although my personal fave is the powder blue tang , i guess my avatar pic gies that away tho haha

Talon33

Yeah i really like the yellow kole eye for some reason so i may have to go with the one of the other tangs with it...I havent ever seen a powder blue or a purple in person so i really need to see them in person and that is a very good looking scopas tang...Also PSU4ME i love the naso, my lfs has a blonde one that looks really good, but i think a fish is only going to be at its best and look its best if its in an appopriate size tank so i stayed away from it.

AJ REEF

Yellow! If there is no budget Gem! Purple would be nice as well. Sailfins get pretty big. There are really lots of great choices out there. Seeing them in person is the way to choose. That's why I have a Chevron. I liked the adult I saw at a store years ago. :)

modulok

I like my Blue (Hippo) Tang. He is the most fun to watch during feeding. When he spots a piece of food he flies across the tank to get it. He is also very nice to the other fish and always seems playful. But they do get big, up to a foot.

Talon33

Chevron, thats a very nice looking tang! They never have these different species at my lfs so its hard for me to look at all these different tangs.

AJ REEF

Yeah Chevrons can be very seasonal. It nearly took a year for me to get one once I decided on it.

Modulok has a good point on the hippo tang, hard to beat the blue of that fish. :)

Talon33

Wow that gem tang is beautiful, i have never even seen one of those...where do you even get one of those, never seen it on liveaquaria...The hippo tang is very nice, awesome contrast in colors. Hippo may get to big for my 125 though wouldnt it? I know a guy whose friends is a big importer of saltwater fish so i can find some of these rarer fish i just dont know of them as i am new to the hobby, so if you guys know of any other fish that are awesome that arent common let me know so i can look into them.

ReefApprentice

Ive only seen it on Liveaquaria once for a nice sum of $16000?Some other rare fish are candy bass,Opercularis hogfish,Conspicuous angelfish,Blotched Anthias.Iwould love to own afew blotched anthias and a pair of candy bass.

Talon33

WOW Id say Gem Tang! Thats like the 30,000 peppermint dwarf angel! ill have to pass on that haha

AJ REEF

There was a gem tang available recently for about $3,200.00 I remember seeing one in a store years ago for something like $1,600.00 and thought that was crazy!

LOL little did I know that would be considered cheap.

LSUFireGal

I am such a rookie that I cringed at the 65$ they wanted for our hippo tang. Not that I thought the price was too high, but I went to the store thinking we were buying 3 blue chromis at 5$ a piece. The employee told my son our tank could house her for "quite a while" then we could trade her for another little one. Autism outweighs reason most of the time. I paid the price and left with TDD (That Damn Dory) knowing I was really just carrying a little plastic bag filled with an ich time bomb. Not the best feeling after your first fish purchase. I put her in QT and yep, 2 days later COVERED in ich. She has finished hyposalinity and is GORGEOUS now though.

Talon33

Yeah sounds like a new career for me if I could get my hands on a pair! haha Cant beat those hippo tangs thats for sure. The tang and surgeonfish family are some of my favorites, I am a big fan of the achilles tang as well.

AJ REEF

You know that is a good point. If you get a hippo tang, you probably could trade it in to the store when it gets big. There always seems to be a demand for them.

Talon33

well thats an interesting thought, could be a way to make a little $$ with the hobby the only things is I may have an attchment to it after having it for so long! haha