Best New protein skimmer for reef tank?

Sean99

I'm looking to get a new protein skimmer for my 55 gallon and 15 gallon reef tanks, but i don't know what skimmers to get. Right now I have the Coralife super skimmer needle wheel 65gallon but I absolutely hate it. At first it was good than after a few months it constantly kept flooding for no reason and causing my carpets to be soaking wet multiple times and now it barely produces enough micro bubbles to foam up. In other words it's a piece of garbage to me. I would have returned it but I've had it for two years already so it's to late. Plus it always breaks it's O-rings often, so now what I use to adjust the amount of micro bubbles is covered in elastic bands, and I don't like having it the the tanks cuz I'm worried it's bad for coral and fish. What skimmers do you guys suggest that I could use to replace these skimmers with that isn't overly expensive?

uqy8u9e2.jpg

That's the most micro bubbles I can get it to produce and I can't get a pic of where the elastic bands are, there's too much rock in the way.

Kongor

is this a hang on the back model?

I had the reef octopus BH-2000 and loved it, only reason I don't have it anymore is because I got a sump.

There are smaller versions of the 2000 bulkreefsupply.com has if you want to take a look. Priming the pump can be a little confusing at first but once it gets going pretty straight forward

Snelly40

my last ASM was great , I have an ETSS reef devil now and it is good, it sjust a little more finicky

Sean99

Yes it's the HOB model and thanks I was looking into getting a reef octo or ASM but I wanted other peoples opinions on what skimmer is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomr33

I have a cad lights pipeless skimmer because my tank has a tiny place for a skimmer...and its a great skimmer...very small footprint its nice and inexpensive

DaveK

Of the hang on the tank skimmers, I like the AquaC Remora and Remora Pro. They are not cheep, but you get good value. They are also easy to clean, and once adjusted, keep the adjustment.

For the in sump or external skimmers, there are a lot of good ones out there and you'll be fine as long as you avoid the obvious junk. Like everything else, quality usually means you need to spend some money.

plasma327

Do you have a sump? I am a skimmer junkie but no experience with hank on back models. From the look of the pics have you cleaned the volute and be sure it is free of salt creep? Every skimmer eventually gets salt creep and has to be cleaned. If not they draw less and less air resulting in your issue as per over filling and flooding.