Best in sump skimmer that is relatively inexpensive

degibson84

The setup that my brother and i purchased had an old Red Sea Berlin turbo skimmer and it is not producing enough bubbles to get anything up to the collection cup. When we first plugged it in no bubbles at all looked into it and the impeller was broke so i ordered a new one figured it would work like a champ. Is it because we have no bioload? If not then we are looking for a new skimmer that we know will work but the budget is tight after purchasing the setup and just adding LR and sand. the tank is a 155 bowfront with a 30 gallon sump slightly under half full. What would work good for us at under $300?

reefer gladness

You might try placing a larger pump on the skimmer you have, no experience with that model so maybe someone who does can chime in. However, if there's nothing to skim then you won't be producing skimmate.

'Best' is an opinion and you'll find several, but for the money I think the Reef Octopus skimmers work pretty well and a lot of others do too.
Reef Octopus Needle/Pin Wheel Protein Skimmer

degibson84

so since this is a brand new setup meaning all freshly mixed water brand new sand and just added about 90lbs of LR you think there is nothing to skim at all and that could be the issue?

reefer gladness

It's possible but there's usually some die-off from new LR unless you directly transferred from another cycled tank. Have you tested for ammonia, nitrates, etc?

degibson84

We have not tested yet. the LR went from tank into styrofoam box then transfered home and we added to the tank

PIMPALA

give it a few days to get going first.

but if you were to replace the skimmer with a new one, ASM in my opinion makes the best skimmer on the market for the money.