Best flow for my tank

FrootStick

Hey guys

Ive looking at a lot of videos on the net and people have nice gentle back to fourth flow in their tanks.
I have 2 x mp40's and was wondering the best way to set them up in my reefer 350?
I have an apex system also.
This is one thing I have not setup to my liking yet and seems to be a bit strong in certain directions.

Do people run their pumps in sync, or the same time? Or one on and one of for a certain time (2-6 seconds)

Would love some ideas or even a apex graph?

Thanks

DaveK

When you have something like this, your going to need to experiment a bit and find what works best for you. Every tank is different as far as the rock work and live stock, so how you want the flow will differ from tank to tank.

This is one area where you can't go too far wrong, as long as the flow is not damaging anything.

I'd start them with one on each end of the tank and place them so they do not directly face each other. Then change them around until you like it.

cracker

I agree with Dave, I'm always moving and pointing my power heads in differing directions. Keeps the dead spots from accumulating debris.

MatroxD

I actually have a different approach and suggestion.. Simply because you mentioned you have apex integration.. I'm assuming you mean you have the wxm module and can control and set profiles for your pumps.. Add this is all based on that..

Basically, what I found, and I still use, even with my jebao pumps, is to set the pumps to run different patterns on a timed schedule every day and night. I also played with the sync and anti sync within that scheduled 24 hour program.

For example, and this is just a simple one..

Nutrient transport 6 am to 8 am
Tidal swell 8 am to 12pm
Short pulse 12pm to 4pm
Nutrient transport 4pm to 6pm
Lagoon high(high flow lagoon) 6pm to 10pm
Long pulse(low flow night) 10pm to 6am

That's a very simple example.. I figured out the maximum flow for each mode that I liked, and then, just set a program.. That way, it was varied, and never stagnated.. I haven't run vortechs in three years, but I remember that, that single change and discovery made a pretty big difference in the health of the coral and growth pattern.. I also had mine mounted pretty much directly across from one another(it was just simpler that way).

One suggestion though: if you ever get the chance to purchase at least one or two mp10, but one(even better two) and add it(them) to the back walls.. Adding those adds another dimension of control, variance, and flexibility...

I do my jebaos the same that are on the jbwave controller. Keeps things flowing different and hitting the coral different ways...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited: