Best coral Dip?

blue_eyes53813

Well I have some new acropora coming today.. I got an email from the individual saying the corals should be dipped? Now Im nervous. The corals will not be here until probably around 4 Pm today. What is the best way to dip them . Ive never dipped corals, Ive only had a few acropora in the past, which I baught from a store myself so I looked them over really good. I know that sounds bad,(that Ive never dipped before):rollingey . I guess Ive gotten lucky. Do you always dip your corals when they come in? Maybe I should start a poll......Thanks Vicki

coraldynamics

RS Sponsor
Hiya Vicki-

It depends what you are needing to dip them for? Flatworms? Redbugs? Somehting else?

Can you get some more info from the person?

coraldynamics

RS Sponsor
Depending on his responses, you may want to have the following available...

Flatworm Exit- Treat during acclimation in a separate container

Interceptor - Red Bug Treatment. Grind up about 1/4 pill and disolve in tank water. Dip for about 20-30 mins after acclimation. Swish the coral around to ensure they have fallen off the coral before placing it in your tank.

Lugols - Some use as a general purpose dip. I has been known to knock all kinds of critters off the corals before they go into the tank. Most folks do this during acclimation.

I hope this helps and I also hope he can lead you in the right direction as to what you are treating.

Get some pix posted when you can...

blue_eyes53813

Opppss my bad. I didnt see it on the bottle of Lugols. Im gonna answer my own question ( just another blonde moment lol ) It is for anybody wondering. 40 drops lugols to 1 gallon of water and put coral in for 10-15 minutes.

oldsaint

Not sure if this is this best procedures for dipping but so far it's worked for me.
15-20 mins in Lugols. When that's done I inspect and gently rinse the coral using a turkey baster with fresh tank water. Then I dip w/flatworm exit per instructions. Rinse again with turkey baster and fresh tank water.
If it's a coral that was shipped to me I usually place the coral at the bottom on the tank and slowly move it up. This helps acclimate it to the lighting. If it's something I purchased at a LFS I place it where ever I want it.

blue_eyes53813

Well he responded and said that message is on all his emails. He said he has never seen anything on the corals that is sent. But he advised always dipping in lugols solution or a quick freshwater dip for zoos. I guess a practice I dont follow. hmmmmmm Post pictures later. thanks all.

mopecula

From my experience it is a good idea to dip all new additions encase there is something there you can't see and guarantying them is even better.

mps9506

Zoo's I def. recomend the FW dip. After seeing other people's experiences with nudibranchs and such that ate up entire colonies of zoas.
Quick easy painless bath to remove the nasties is worth it.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
On incoming acros I always do a 6 hour interceptor dip (lugols doesn't kill redbugs). I've watched it take up to 4 hours for the bugs to come off a coral, so I found following Dustin Dorton's redbug cure method (for length of dose) to work the best with the dip. I dose the incoming corals because the redbugs are so tiny, it would be easy to miss one. Acro eating flatworms are a whole other nasty thing to deal with (FW exit doesn't get them). There is a sea slug that eats them, and also Levamisole works (but not for the eggs). I try and blast the corals with a turkey baster before they get put into the tank to knock off any of the flatworms. This doesn't always work on the acro eating flatworms nor does it get their eggs, but I do my best. So far, I found one incoming coral with the acro eating flatworms, and it received a lugols dip. I inspected it with a magnifying glass for any signs of eggs, and didn't see any. I've also talked with a reefer that applied super glue gel over the eggs, and it seemed to work.

Good Luck with your new acquisitions!