best cheap place to buy fish online?

iamurri33

just wondering if there is anywere online that is actually cheaper than lfs after shippping? i kno all the flaws about ordering online but if theres a site that is cheaper than a lfs price let me kno pleasee.:snshne:

degibson84

just wondering if there is anywere online that is actually cheaper than lfs after shippping? i kno all the flaws about ordering online but if theres a site that is cheaper than a lfs price let me kno pleasee.:snshne:

I wouldn't add anymore fish. I think you should upgrade your skimmer or add more live rock. In my opinion your bio load is too high for your filtration. Biological or mechanical

Once that is taken care of check out live aquaria's diver den

DaveK

The time of year when you order is also important. Considering how cold winters can get up north, I recommend you wait until May or so before ordering. I'd also avoid ordering when it's extremely hot out, July through early September.

reefguy

I use saltwaterfish.com and wait till they have free shipping on orders over 100$. They just had one last week. They are great along with most other sites.

degibson84

I use saltwaterfish.com and wait till they have free shipping on orders over 100$. They just had one last week. They are great along with most other sites.

I wouldn't order from this place. One of my buddies ordered from them and they shipped with no water in the bags. 3 fish 3 bags and zero water.

reefguy

I wouldn't order from this place. One of my buddies ordered from them and they shipped with no water in the bags. 3 fish 3 bags and zero water.

Both of my tanks are all stocked from them. No deaths 2 tanks and about 2,000$ spent with them. Only had some hermit crabs died and they replaced no questions asked.

Btw mine always come with water:) and live aquaria has burned me 2 times now 2 dead fish. They have me credit thou so they are fine in my book. Guess it just depends on where the fish are going. Saltwaterfish.com come out of FL which is an easy over night to DC.

Just my 2 cents.

theplantman

Just an added point about online fish. Not sure if you have a quarantine system set up or not. But if not, i would most certainly not order fish online just to save a few bucks. Besides supporting your local LFS, its better to see the fish you are buying first hand, to inspect their health and appetite before the purchase. Most good LFS will order what you want, especially if they value customer relationships and repeat business. In my humble opinion.

reefguy

Just an added point about online fish. Not sure if you have a quarantine system set up or not. But if not, i would most certainly not order fish online just to save a few bucks. Besides supporting your local LFS, its better to see the fish you are buying first hand, to inspect their health and appetite before the purchase. Most good LFS will order what you want, especially if they value customer relationships and repeat business. In my humble opinion.

Agree but my LFS has an ick outbreak in their tank.. and continue to do nothing about it. I have great luck with online. I also QT all my fish for 6 weeks or longer just to make sure they are fine.

theplantman

Good to hear reef guy, i was actually sending the message iamurri though. But while on the topic of local lfs, curious to know if you have tried marine scene in Herndon. I've been thinking of heading that way to check it out.

Mcnjenn

The online store I have used are:
Reefs2go.com I bought my cuc from here and was really happy
Live aquaria- I bought a naso tang from here and was really happy as well

As far as other store there are:
Vividaquariums.com (where mr. Saltwater tank buys his livestock)
Bluezooaquatics.com
Aquacon.com
Reefcleaners.org
Saltwaterfish.com
Reefhotspot.com - they seem expensive

Everyone seem to have good prices on different things my favorite is live aquaria. They seem to have decent prices on most fish (other than there ORA clowns) and there with the divers den section you can see exactly what you are getting

Mcnjenn

Oh I have ordered corals and some inverts from saltyunderground.com - love these people. When I first started out with my nano I ordered from them- they called me to talk to me about what lights they were using on there corals and to make sure before I bought there corals that I had adequate lighting. When I received my order there was an extra coral frag in there free of charge as well

reefguy

Good to hear reef guy, i was actually sending the message iamurri though. But while on the topic of local lfs, curious to know if you have tried marine scene in Herndon. I've been thinking of heading that way to check it out.

Gotcha. I have not tried them. They pretty decent? I can't seem to find a place that cares about their fish around here. They seem to just want to off load them ASAP before the fish die on them.

theplantman

Gotcha. I have not tried them. They pretty decent? I can't seem to find a place that cares about their fish around here. They seem to just want to off load them ASAP before the fish die on them.

I have not yet, but their website looks promising. Not sure where in DC you are, but I have been to Ricks fish and pet in Frederick, his shop is a tad cluttered but they are very knowledgable and he has been around for better than 30 years. he can order most things and his fish always seem healthy. The other place i have been to but it is a haul is That Pet/Fish Place in Lancaster PA. They have a very large selection of saltwater fish and coral for pretty decent prices. When I lived in Atlanta, I did order coral from Pacific East Aquaculture. The livestock came in healthy and did well, i am looking forward to a road trip to visit them this spring hopefully he gets his hands on some pretty amazing Acans.

mikedee17

Hello fellow reefers has anyone heard of Oceanpro Aquatics, I was checking out their site seems to be down, but after searching on the Internet for information I found out they have been purchased by someone in NewYork, anyone have any inside info on this online company?