Best and The Worst of Live Rock

Koda2007

Just a bit of daft discussion,

What is the best thing that you have got from your live rock and what is the worst.
I am asking as I must be the unluckiest so an so. I must have 250kg + of live rock between my tanks and the best I have got off my rock is a few plain zoas, a few types of anthelia's and some sponges.
The worst is 4 mantis shrimps ( upto now ) and a Teddy Bear Crab that destroyed anything in its path.
I am asking as if you look around people post about acro's growing out of the rock ect.

zy112

Never had anything to great or to bad. My best is about like yours and worst is some aptasia. Funny thing is before I found the forums and was just starting I thought aptasia were cool anemones lol. I was sadly mistaken!

i did too, bad mistake
Never had anything to great or to bad. My best is about like yours and worst is some aptasia. Funny thing is before I found the forums and was just starting I thought aptasia were cool anemones lol. I was sadly mistaken!

goldenmean

My worst HH were numerous hairy crabs and cirolandid isopods ( I had no fish tho). My best HH are 3 mantis shrimps ( They are sooo cute), hidden cup corals, gorgonians, tons of sponges, sea squirtes, tunicates, barnacles, & flower anemone.

Koda2007

Hi Goldenmean, Wait till you have had a whack off one they are not so cute then. I had a powerhead without filter on in back chamber of tank. ( no danger to fish ect ). Anyway flow decreased, so took pump out to clean. Looked up inside to see blockage, could not make out what it was. I placed finger in to grab object when BANG I was hit by a bullet. My finger was double the size within minutes, and the pain. Guess what it was a mantis still alive and kicking. My mate took it he call it Mantinator.

lcstorc

I've never had anything really goo or really bad. I seem to come up with the simply interresting but not really bad or good.

vdituri

Best was bristleworms.
Worst was bristleworms. lol
Did get a miscellaneous crab once. Mantis took care of him.:smirk:
Favorite is a pencil urchin that has since doubled in size.

I try not to rate them as good or bad. They simply are and simply do what they would do in nature. Right off the bat you listed mantis shrimp as your bad and then right away someone else listed a mantis as their best hitchhiker.

Point of view. Would not want to be introduced to them like you were.
That HAD to be painful.

michael_cb_125

I have never really gotten anything great off of my live rock that I cure my tank with, but I have gotten some cool stuff off of LR that corals came on.