berlin sump

john

i have a 180 gallon reef tank and i have a nu-clear filter as my main filtration.ive been pretty happy with it but i have to replace the filter cartridge every 2 months at $50 a pop.i was considering replacing it with the berlin bs2 sump.does anyone have this orhave any info on its efficiency???any better ideas for a filter?? any info would be appreciated thanks a lot john

i have found that simpler is often best. a simple sump with an area for the tank to drain into ( just some floss or filter material )
a good skimmer and strong water flow coupled with good lights and frequent water changes are all that are mandatory.

ScottT1980

I agree, a simple sump design is what I use/used. While it is easier to maintain, it is also much cheaper. I am a big fan of macro algae nutrient export so I utilize a classic Caluerpa refugium. Do you maintain a classic Berlin system or is it a modified Berlin setup?

Take er easy
Scott T.

john

i actually found a sump at windowtothesea.con.its called the eurofill .its basically a knock off of the berlin classic but for about half the price.i have a 180 gallon tank so im thinking of getting the 36'/12'/16' one thats rated for up to 240 gallon.

SZHTTM

Have you given any thought to making your own sump?

Some people making them out of an aquarium or even a rubbermaid container.

If you have items that require access through the sump (like an external water pump, skimmer, etc...), I would recommend talking to a local fish store to see if they can drill the holes for you (especially into a glass aquairum). They usually only charge about $20 to to $30 a hole.

Even with the store drilling holes for you, it will certainly save you a lot of money...

If you like, send Drill Sergeant a PM because he built his sump out of a regular 29-gallon aquarium.

You can also do a search on DIY sumps to see what you find.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!;
:thumber:

Last edited:
John

I did exactly what SZHTTM mentioned above. I went with a regular 30 gallon tank as a sump, and had the LFS drill a couple of holes into it for $20.00. I then installed to bulkheads to the holes, and thats all she wrote.

So far its worked great!!!!

DS

Rjones

I know this is a really old post but just in case.

That Nuclear filter is good for 1-2 years not months. Someone sold you up the river. I have one.

1. 1 cup bleach per 5 gallon water. Let it soak.
2. Rinse off the debrie best you can
3. Let soak in RO water for a few days. Maybe water change once
4. Let air dry and done.

You need two filters for the rotation.

Bob...

i have a 180 gallon reef tank and i have a nu-clear filter as my main filtration.ive been pretty happy with it but i have to replace the filter cartridge every 2 months at $50 a pop.i was considering replacing it with the berlin bs2 sump.does anyone have this orhave any info on its efficiency???any better ideas for a filter?? any info would be appreciated thanks a lot john

lcstorc

Sumps have come a long way since this thread. They are very easy to build yourself and work wonderfully. I wouldn't use anything else.