Berghia Nudibranch - Reef Safe ?

jpitt16

I read through some of the other threads regarding aiptasia control before starting this but I didn't find many personal experiences with Berghia Nudi's.

I recently began converting my 5 year old FOWLR into a reef tank. I have (and had prior to converting) a mild amount of aiptasia in my tank. Peppermint Shrimp isn't an option for me because I have a round stingray and I really would prefer to stay away from Aiptasia-X. I'm only looking for information about Nudi's.

A while back, I read somewhere that Berghia Nudi's will only feed on aiptasia and then die, but can anyone confirm this? I'm new to coral/reefs and just want to make sure that the coral inhabitants will be safe after the aiptasia is gone.

Thanks for helping a noob out :bouncer:

livebait

Yes it's true that they only eat Aiptasia and once they are gone the nudi's will starve.
They are also expensive. $10-20 for a 1/2" adult depending on where you buy them. They are pack hunters so you need to buy more than just one. Some vendors say 1 adult nudi for every ten Aips you can see and add another 3 for the Aips you can't.
They have natural predators too. Wrasses and peppermints will eat them just to name a couple and what a lot of vendors won't tell you is that bristleworms will kill them to defend nests.
They do work though and if nothing kills them or they don't get sucked down the overflow they will reproduce until all the food is gone. If you get some pass the buck before they all die off. Either sell them or give them to another reefer who may have an aiptasia issue.

jpitt16

Thank you for the quick response. I don't have any wrasses or bristleworms (that I know of). I think I'm going to give it a shot. I agree, its expensive but at least I wont have to worry about aiptasia for a while.

Have you tried to catch them? if so, it it difficult? I'd imagine that I could always sell them to my LFS (for a huge loss) for their liverock tank :/

livebait

When you get them you should get a pipette and acclimation instructions. Follow the instructions exactly or they won't make it through the acclimation. That's an IME statement. Save the pipette and when it's time to get them out you'll just have to watch for them and suck them up. Best way IMHO or you can watch and see which rock(s) they have colonized under and take the rock out to get them.

jpitt16

I don't usually cut corners with acclimation but I have terrible luck and if you hadn't mentioned the instructions, I probably would have went about the usual routine, so thank you very much. I will have to save the pipette because I have way too much liverock to be worth digging them out if they colonize near the bottom. Do you have any recommendations for an online seller? I saw that Eaze33 mentioned Salty Underground as his provider, but which worked best for you?

livebait

reeftown is an excellent company. No I'm not associated with them in anyway. :) Jeff is very helpful. SU has good service too though.

jpitt16

That Zapper looks tempting, but I have aiptasia thats nested in difficult to reach places. I might pick one up after I use the Nudi's. livebait, thanks for the info; I'll be calling Jeff soon.

IXL

Ok ... Here's another option for you.... I hope you enjoy it , I think the music is very fitting.

[video=youtube;MAIBS15iXSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAIBS15iXSc[/video]

Skyreefer

Man that peppermint shrimp video is crazy. I've had no luck with peppermint shrimp. Mine will not touch aiptasia because they are used to just waiting for fish food to drop. I have one that stays near my bubble tip anemone waiting for me to feed it or for it to expel waste. It loves stealing food from the nem so I have to feed the shrimp first. Not to threadjack but I haven't had any luck with peppermints like that. In the vid it looked like since they were in a small tank + large group vs. one aiptasia they went for it.