Benefits / Dangers of live rock

Sharkbite73

Hi my collective hive mind,
I have been running a tank for a while, and am at the stage where my orange algae has just been munched by my clean crew. I asked my LFS if they had any medium or large hermit shells, washed them in RO and popped them in. Out comes a bristle worm, which, I managed to remove.

I am considering live rock in the tank and understand I could introduce nasties in to it. but it is so much cheaper than red reef rock. Other than washing the rock in RO whats the best tank mates to keep on top of it?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4151.JPG
    IMG_4151.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 18

DaveK

How long have you been running the tank? "a while" doesn't tell us anything.
What kind and how much rock do you currently have in the tank? Red reef rock can refer to a few different kinds of rock.

It's OK to wash empty snail shells in RO water. Actual live rock should never ever be washed in RO water. Rinse it in SW usually removed, from the tank. Do this as part of a water change.

Nowadays, there seems to be a tremendous amount of paranoia about hitch hikers on live rock. While it is possible to pick up some unwanted critters most of what you'll get on live rock is harmless, and often desirable. Also once the rock has been in a tank, it can get infested by other rock in it. That first coral frag you add that comes on a small piece of rubble rock can have hitch hikers.

Sharkbite73

Hi Dave
Sorry, yes a while is as good as a fart in a space suit. It's been running for a month now. I have 13.5kg of red reef rock and used seed live bacteria to start the cycle. After a water change and parameter test I added 2 clown. The Algae hit as it should, and I added the clean up crew.

I guess as you right said about live rock paranoia, I guess I should of phrased what is best eat bristle worms and other nasties.

saintsreturn

I have gotten some awesome hitchhikers on LR including some cool looking filter feeders. I have also gotten bristle works but that is it on the bad side. As great as they are, my wife hates seeing them with a passion. So I elected for only dry rock on the newer tank to make her happy. If I was single, LR all the way.

Just ny $.02

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sharkbite73

IMO you are way more likely to get something good and not something bad.
You could consider a wrasse as your next fish depending on your tank size etc.
You will want to give it some time for your tank to settle down after adding the clowns.

Thanks,
I've heard Wrasse and copperbands are good for eating them?

Sharkbite73

I have gotten some awesome hitchhikers on LR including some cool looking filter feeders. I have also gotten bristle works but that is it on the bad side. As great as they are, my wife hates seeing them with a passion. So I elected for only dry rock on the newer tank to make her happy. If I was single, LR all the way.

Just ny $.02

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks

SPR

On the hermit crab shells just remember that if you get large shells, the hermits will grow into them and then become 'monster killer' hermits. They will then think their normal diet is not sufficient and develop a taste for snail and whatever other form of meat they can find.

I didn't know this and grew a few monsters and my LFS recommended I put them to work in the sump so they are currently in solitary confinement eating detritus in my sump. Rather than snails in the display tank!

On the rock I used reel reef rock throughout my tank, around 75-80kg by the time I'd done, and yes it's expensive unfortunately but you only have to get it once. And no hitch hikers.

Last edited:

Sharkbite73

Cheers SPR
I've got tons of frozen prawn to satisfy their appetite. I upgraded from an oscar tank. As for the £800 not sure if my man bits would survive the night lol

Reactions: SPR