Been thinking about getting a mandarin any advice?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have no idea, but "Pod Condos" sure sounds like an interesting kinda invention :idea:
Will the pods know to stay inside the condo tho so they don't get eaten? :ponder2:

lbiminiblue

Definitely had success with training my mandarins to eat frozen. The article is awesome, gone are the days where a 4foot tank is needed per mandarin. I have a 3foot tank and I have 3mandarins. A psychedelic, green and a scooter. They are all obese and eat frozen mysis/brine. Scooter will smash pellets too. Started off with one fish at a time in a netted enclosure. Fed them with brine soaked in garlic and vitachem. Kept them in there and fed daily for about 2-3 weeks before letting them go into display tank. Initially, they feed very slowly, now they swim up and attack the shrimps. If you find your other tank mates are eating up all the food, you can feed an extra cube or create a feeding station using a small plastic container or a glass bottle. It is important to choose a fat boy at the lfs to start. This is to give you a bit more time to get him to eat. Mandarins are notorious for starving themselves to death.

For those who think 3x is too many for my tank size, fear not.. i have a rsm650s coming in a week. Plus, they are really fat and chunky.

Will

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2
this is exactly what I needed: I have a 120 that's been running for about 14 months, and I think I should have a good start for a mandarin now...once I find that blasted mantis shrimp though...I think I'll give them a shot in a few months. I already have the feeding station and I know how to hatch brine, so I think I'm off to a good start.

Talon33

I think the method behind the madness is that it create a fish less breeding ground, good way to keep some pods in the tank and if you can train the mandarin I think it would be awesome but don't get a mandarin and count on it