battery back up in the lightning capital of the world?

beasone

Time for my weekly silly question:
What is the best set up for making sure all pumps remain functional, when the power goes out?
Do I get one of those APC battery back ups and plug my pumps into it?
I have had a heck of a time trying to get my lights on a timer..first I didn't have the right timer, then I get a three prong timer and I can't fit it and my other surge protector strip into the outlet.. so I need to get a adapter to turn it the other way..

How does everyone else deal with power outages?

acemow

We just had our first outage in the Cape, a bit over an hour. I used a battery backup and just turned sump on for short bursts, along with an air stone that is in QT with a sixline wrasse. If we get a big storm, I'm thinkin we're gonna need generators! Preparedness for me includes having bags to float ice to cool if necessary, and dumpin water from above surface to create some oxygen flow. My battery backup doesn't last long

lcstorc

It really depends on how much you want to spend and how long of an outage are you likely to have. You have many options from full house generators to battery powered air pumps. If the shortage is a day or so then several battery powered air pumps should be fine to keep things going. If you are talking about the 6 weeks I was without power after Hurricane Andrew, you need to get more serious about it. Your tank can easily go a couple of days without lights so that would not be first on the list. Water circulation is the most vital.