Basics of Google searches

Curtswearing

I have an extensive listing of favorites (bookmarks for Netscape users). Often I will remember reading an article and I need it to help someone with a post. If I can't find it in my favorites, I go to Google.

To help people out with the way google works, I'm giving a little tutorial.

Search for coral food possibilities

If I type in the words coral food, I will get listings of every single page that has the words coral or food or coral food together.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=coral+food

If I put quote marks around coral food like this "coral food" it will only return pages that have both words together. Coral Food in quotes

If I wanted to find all pages that have the exact words coral food but I also want the page to contain the word borneman, I can structure a search like this "coral food" + borneman
I get these results "coral food" + borneman

Witfull

Google is my friend, but at times it can be frustrating at times due to the fact that there is So much info out there. another tip is to scan the highlites of the page and at the end of each highlite there is a link that says "find similar pages". also if it says "translate this page". this means it in a foreign language and this will take a minute or two to translate and may not be a perfect translation.

ReefLady

Staff member
Great stuff, Curt - thanks!!

A couple more Google searching tips ...

Like the "+" sign, you can also use the "-" sign. This will force a search to not include the word prefaced with the "-".

In other words, if you search for "orange -fruit" (no quotes) - the search result will bring all results with the word "orange", but not those containing the word fruit.

The "~" sign. Prefacing a word with this will bring results for the word and all its synonyms.

You can also use OR for instance search for "coral OR reef" (no quotes) will return web pages with either the word coral or the word reef in them.

HTH!

ReefLady

Staff member
Oranges for lunch RL? Just a guess. :)

Another tip, Google now offers a web browser toolbar with the search feature built in- it also has a built-in pop-up killer. It was very easy to download and install, and so far I LOVE it!

http://toolbar.google.com/

T

ReefLady

Staff member
Another tip, Google now offers a web browser toolbar with the search feature built in- it also has a built-in pop-up killer. It was very easy to download and install, and so far I LOVE it!

Yeah, but not for us Netscape users. :-(

Lunch? Umm ... no, that was Dunkin's coffee. Maybe my body is craving vitamin C. :)

Curtswearing

Originally posted by Travis

It's awesome. I'm now using it too.

RanRoc

Cool tips folks...if there are any Mac users out there, the new Safari web browser has a Goggle search bar built into it. But I've also used the add-on web tool for Explorer. That's cool too!
-RY