Basic do's and don'ts for keeping a mantis?

redneckgearhead

Ok everyone, what are some basic rules for setting up a mantis tank? Minimum tank size? tankmates? corals? sandbed? recommended species? any species that shouldn't be housed? and other tips and advice and maybe we can get this stickied if we get enough good info.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
OK I'll be the wise guy from NJ and stir the pot a bit but, but wouldn't this be great in it's own Mants section?:biker

PIMPALA

OK I'll be the wise guy from NJ and stir the pot a bit but, but wouldn't this be great in it's own Mants section?:biker

you mean...

like...

THIS?

snc979.jpg

lol

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
I will start with tank size... though a 10g is not big enough for a peacock mantis you may still say to yourself ahhh it'll be fine for a while.... NO! a Smasher is more than capable of breaking 1/8 glass so don't do it!.

Aim for 1/4" glass or 3/16 acrylic.. and I do agree with Jason.. a 40b is perfect.

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PIMPALA

Ok everyone, what are some basic rules for setting up a mantis tank? Minimum tank size? tankmates? corals? sandbed? recommended species? any species that shouldn't be housed? and other tips and advice and maybe we can get this stickied if we get enough good info.

This is a ton of questions. I'll try to answer as many as i can with the knowledge i've gotten over the last couple of years, along with reading, and reading, and reading everywhere i can read.

there are over 500 species of KNOWN stomatopods, and who knows how many more are still hiding in cracks and crevices in the depths of the oceans, still waiting to be found.

This is hands down, one of the best websites with info about the multiple species:

Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

The "rules" to keeping a mantis are all still mostly educated guesses. its almost impossible to say "what does a mantis need" without identifying the species first. they are too different.

common needs:

low to medium lighting
medium to decent flow
heavy skimming
coarse substrate with lots of rubble and rocks that the mantis is able to move around and design the entrance to its cave

tank size is totally dependent on species. there are some VERY small species of mantis, able to easily be kept in nano tanks like a 10 gallon, very comfortably.

as far as tank mates... its pretty much up to the mantis. some will eat everything, some will only eat what you feed it. if you have the stabber type of mantis, pretty much anything that swims by its den will get stabbed, killed, and eaten. the smasher types will generally leave larger fish alone, but will still eat ANY inverts or slow moving animals in the tank.

corals are fine, but SPS/LPS require higher lighting, which is commonly thought to be the cause of shell rot in most mantis. softies and other low light corals are fine, but pretty much expect the mantis to use them to decorate the cave entrance if they are on frag plugs, not glued down, sitting on the sand bed, or on smaller rocks.

as far as a species goes that can be recommended, most mantis lovers have their favorites, its tough to recommend one that i havent kept, as i dont know what to expect, but i believe most, if not all can be kept in captivity, given the proper environment, and care.

Built347

It wont let me edit my post... my last post is in reference to the commonly kept peacock mantis. Which from what I'm seeing is what 95% of people have

PIMPALA

I'm going to disagree with you on the 95% number. That might be more of an accurate number for the members here on RS, but I'd venture to say that number for peacocks are far below 50%. maybe even closer to 25%. also... many people purchase what they think is a O. Scyllarus, but it turns out to be another species.

there are many, many people keeping smithii and other smaller types of smashers that look similar to peacocks, but are absolutely not peacocks. there are also a huge number of people keeping stabber type mantis now, as they are extremely interesting to watch when they hunt/kill. just dont try to pick one up. ;)

Built347

Lol well you have done much deeper research than me then.. I only added in the 95% because I know 100% is a stretch... if you search mantis's and people who keep mantis's for some reason it always steers me to peacocks.. for the longest time I thought that peacocks and stabbers were the 2 species of mantis's because through the main channels that's basically all you will find......

That's why we voted for you Jason! :D

Last edited: