barebottom ?

tmc

are there any restrictions with a bb tank as far as inhabitants go? crabs, anemones, snails, etc... still deciding whether to go bb or not. everyone still happy with theirs?
thanks tmc

niagara135

I'm new to the bb, heck new to saltwater. I just recently pulled out all my sand and put starboard down. I had about 20 to 30 blue legged crabs that I left in after going bb. They crawl all over the rock and keep it clean. I have a sebae anemone and it likes to perch on a crevis of the rocks. So pretty much what I had in when there was sand on the bottom is still in the tank. There are allot of people here with a ton more experience than I that will surely chime in and steer you right. I am glad I went bb, wished I started that way to begin with, getting the sand out was a bit of a chore for myself and the tank.

DPdsny

I just switched over to BB myself. from what I have been reading it looks like you can keep just about all the same things in a bb tank as in a sandbed tank. the only thing that I did read was that you should not keep any type of stars.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sandsifting starfish, certain gobies and nassarius snails are the only no-no's I can think of at the moment.

Go for it!! :D

I have a couple serpent stars in my BB tank for the last year ... but would avoid sand-sifting [eating] stars and other substrate-sifting animals.

Unsure about clams that like the sandbed, just don't know. As my crocea is happy on his rock, I probably need to try another clam for a while :)

mojoreef

Just a reefer
I have about 15 clams in my tank Mark, form 4 inchers up to 13 inches and they have no problems in thier

Dave I have a few conches in mine also, they are great on the detritus on the bottom. Have you heard something??

Mike

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
mojoreef said:
I have about 15 clams in my tank Mark, form 4 inchers up to 13 inches and they have no problems in thier

Mike

You sure do!!! LOL~~

4casey-clam.jpg

Witfull

mojoreef said:
Dave I have a few conches in mine also, they are great on the detritus on the bottom. Have you heard something?
Mike
yeah, i keep my barebottom clean,,,,lol

Witfull

what happened with my fighting conch,,,he was always a third buried in the sand plowing along, then when i went BB,,,he would fall over all the time,,,trying to stick his nose out sucking all within reach,,,kick flipping upright only to fall over shortly.....repeat.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Hmm mine are a bit bigger and seem to be ok. Looking at the shape of the shell one sould see that thier might be a problem down the road though.

Mike

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I would also add the Long Tentacle Anemone to the list although you could use some type of container with sand like Nick was using in his BB tank.