bamboo cat shark

blythe

Hey all, Long time no posts...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on the board has had any experiences with this shark in their tanks. The LFS just got a baby female (8") and I was trying to help them out a bit, but didn't really have any first hand experience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did a quick search and didn't really turn up anything in the forums.

Thanks again!

blythe

Thanks!

I had looked at most of those sites and found some good (and sometimes conflicting) info there, but what I can't seem to find is much first-hand experience...

Thanks again Jay, I'll keep digging.

Cheers!

SharkysReef

RS Sponsor
blythe..

We are always constantly hatching them and raising them at sharkysreef.com. What type of information are you looking for?

Scotts Michaels book on Sharks and Rays is also an excellant resource

blythe

I guess the most pertinant info would be feeding preferences and methods for the young, and then other unique requirements for helping them thrive in an aquarium setting.

I wil check out your site as soon as I post this.

Thanks in advance!

SharkysReef

RS Sponsor
Feeding is always the big thing for young sharks. The hardest part is getting them to eat. I would first try fresh squid or shrimp. Then try live food to get them eating like ghost shrimp etc. Sometimes we even have to result to force feeding as the last measure.

Once you get them feeding the hard part is over. Then you can concentrate on giving the shark a balanced diet.

Please feel free to call me on some questions also..

I would highly recommend you check out Scott Michaels book.... Contains alot of information more then could be shared by a method like this...

mps9506

We used to use ghost shrimp to get these guys to eat.
They eventually recognized feeding time and would readily take fresh chopped squid and mullet. you can get shark vitamins for them also to help ensure a healthy shark. We would just stick it in a small squid and they would chow it down without noticing.

blythe

Thanks Guys, that is very helpfull.

What reccomendations do you have as far as moving them to tanks of different sizes?

She is in a 75g now, but the manager doesn't want to keep her there (she wants to give her to me for cheap) because they have had bad luck with them in the past (staff problems) and she thinks it will have a better chance with me.

I have a 75g also, and there is plenty of room (space and bio-load) while it is still small.

I am also in the marine science dept at UGA, so I have access to TONS of other tanks including a 400g aquaculture tank should it grow very quickly.

As far a its survival goes, I feel I should probably take it (plus it is very cool), but I have very little experience with sharks (in the real world)...

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

SharkysReef

RS Sponsor
A 75 would be okay when it is young. However, a banded shark should not be kept in that small of an aquarium. I think Scott Micheal recommended a min of 180 gallon tank however, I would like to see the shark in a bigger tank then that. Since most tanks aren't wide enough. Banded Sharks should be keep in custom made aquariums IMO..