Ballast longevity

frisbee

I've been using this Hamilton 175 watt magnetic ballast for about 5 years now without any problems, but I got this thru a trade, so I have no clue how long it's been in service for. Do these things usually last a long time, or should I expect it to fizzle out here soon? Any information regarding ballasts like this would be great. Thanks. :)

Snid

Ballpark guess... About 50,000 hours there abouts. Problem is, you don't know if it is on 49,999. So it doesn't really matter how many it should last. ;)

DaveK

A ballast should last a long time. However, sometimes a bad bulb or other outside factors can fry it overnight. You just never know.

However, you have another issue. An electronic MH ballast is a lot more efficient than a magnetic one. I measured the difference on ones I had many years back. The magnetic ballast was about 65% efficient. The electronic was about 95% efficient.

In doing the calculation with the electricity rates at the time, I found that the more expensive electronic ballast would pay for itself in about a year. As I recall, the electronic ballast costs about twice as much as a magnetic ballast.

I would say that if you plan on using a magnetic ballast more than a year, your best choice is to replace it with an electronic ballast.

Of course, if money is no object, you can put that cost toward that new super delux LED lighting you've been wanting.

Clint24

I have a Hamilton tech 3 bulb, 250 watt. I got it used but have had it myself for 10 years. Earlier this year I had to replace the compacitor on the inside of the ballast because my middle light didn't turn on. That's the only issue I've had since I've owned it. U can call Hamilton tech and talk to there staff if u are having issues. Their customer service was great for me!!! :).

CD

Clint24

Capacitor.... Sorry!!! It only cost me $40 for mine & easy to do myself...& I'm no electrician!!! Good luck.

CD

frisbee

Ok, thank you everybody. I'll definitely consider getting an electronic ballast, but for now I think I'll just continue using the one I have. Thanks again. :)