Bad Day, Carbon bag broke!!

Pro_builder

I was gone for about 6 hours today, when I got home I looked at the tank, and it was really dark.
I noticed that the Carbon Bag had come unstitched, at the seam in the bottom.

Does anyone have any good ways of getting all the black out of the tank?
That stuff must have made it to a pump. Cause it is ground up into dust in the water column.
I have done a emergency 15 gallon water change, that has helped. I dug out all of the carbon that I could. I am working on building another sump tonight to accomidate for a filter pad to be installed incase something like this happens again.

Any suggestions would be great.

mnreefman

would running more carbon help....lol sry couldnt resist..running carbon seems to be alot of people "magical" remedy... you did the water change... i have no ideas excpet to run maybe a media pad to collect the dust....

Pro_builder

thanks, I don't trust the new bags that I got from the LFS, I don't want to go through this again.
Water change is done.
Working on sump to make provisions for a fiter pad to catch the particles in water.

Curtswearing

Bummer.

Why don't you borrow someones power filter? Particularly if someone has that a diatom filter that filters down to 1 micron. I'll bet it will clear up quickly.

Hopefully someone in your area has one because they cost $90 at Petsmart.

The other option is more water changes and more mechanical filtration pads for a short time.

Witfull

troy, i have never used a filter bag, i go to wal-mart and buy cheap pantyhose. works like a charm!!!

yea...just run a mechanical filter for several hours...I borowed the fluval of the ciclid tank for the day worked good for removing the silt from new sand once too

Pro_builder

Thanks everyone, I made a homemade jug, with Pre filter pads in it, and a bunch of holes. All of my water from the Durso pipe is running through it right now. I will have to change out the pads often, but that is the only thing I have. There isn't anything open right no and can't get ahold of friends in town.

i have never used a filter bag, i go to wal-mart and buy cheap pantyhose. works like a charm!!!
thats is what I will go to then!!! Thanks Wit

ScottT1980

Great idea Wit, I have never heard of that but it makes perfect sense. I am already used to the strange looks from the wedding veil netting, I might as well go with the panty hose...and then there was the 6 tubes of KY jelly (I tried to explain that I work with dairy cows but alas...)

Oh, and Troy, good luck with everyithing. Prefiilter floss might really just do the trick or a nice canister filter...Good luck, I would lend you my fluval and magnum if you were close by...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Last edited:

Pro_builder

Well all, Everything is clear as a bell this beautiful morning! :)
The make shift pre-filter worked great.
Thanks for all the help.

mnreefman

good..... hope this never happens again.... just outa curiosity... pantyhose get runs in them often i assum... with waterflow beating up agains them... wouldnt this cause them to rip....

Curtswearing

Control top? regular? nude? knee-highs? Is the plastic egg useful in any way? There's too many choices. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Witfull

pantyhose are quite strong. runs are caused by snagging and pulling. i have never had a runner occur in the tank, and i use a quart sized container of carbon at a time.

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by Witfull
pantyhose are quite strong. runs are caused by snagging and pulling. i have never had a run occur in the tank

I get my panty hose from the three women at my house as they are being discarded due to some minor imperfection, almost an endless supply.

:D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by Witfull
pantyhose are quite strong. runs are caused by snagging and pulling. i have never had a runner occur in the tank

Wit, you seem to know a lot about pantyhose.....;)