Backup power

ViperDoug

Hello, I was wondering what people recommend for backup in caseof a power outage. Obviously a generator on the house will cover you, but are there less expensive options for the aquarium trade?
Thanks!

DBrinson

UPS is a must with a controller! (so you don't risk outages erasing your settings)

Especially if you have a generator, your UPS will keep things running just long enough to get your generator cranked up.

Cheaper too. At a minimum put your failsafe appliances on your UPS.

DBrinson

Never stupid to ask a question, first time I heard about them I was like "No thanks, I use FedEx" :dunce:

Uninterruptible
Power
Supply

Here's mine, what can be seen of it in the bottom right of this picture:

Center_View.jpg

ViperDoug

Thank you Brinson! I see that it is made by AFC, which is the same company that makes the one my pc is connected to. What model are you using? Also, how long will it power your tank during an outage?

DBrinson

Thank you Brinson! I see that it is made by AFC, which is the same company that makes the one my pc is connected to. What model are you using? Also, how long will it power your tank during an outage?

It's the biggest one they had at Best Buy the day I picked it up, I'm not sure how long it'll last in an outage, because I am not terribly sure what I am going to leave connected to it.

Right now, with only 1 250W MH lamp plugged into it, the display says it will last 11 minutes powering the light, two skimmer pumps, a calc reactor pump, an air pump, and the main (3300GPH) pump. Enough time for me to get my generator rolling if there's a total outage.

I wouldn't plug lights into a UPS. You can easily go several days dark, as some people do intentionally. Lights are the biggest power consumer and the least needed to keep your livestock safe through a power outage.

chipmunkofdoom2

I wouldn't plug lights into a UPS. You can easily go several days dark, as some people do intentionally. Lights are the biggest power consumer and the least needed to keep your livestock safe through a power outage.

I would agree if you don't have a generator, however I think DBrinson has one. The reason he probably has his light plugged into the UPS is because when the power goes out, he plans to get a generator running right away. He doesn't want the light to shut off and have to warm up again when he gets the generator going.

nos2074

I don't think I'd plug the lights into the UPS either. That 11 min is great if you're home. But isn't it pointless if it happens when you're at work, out of the house, or sound asleep in bed at night. I understand about the lights reseting but mine only take like 20 min at the most. I would rather use it for the powerheads or the return pump and skimmer.

But I jus prefer my generator. Cost me $299 shipped for a 2000 watt. runs my tank, fridge, and my little tv with no problem. But again this is only good if I'm home.

DBrinson

Point taken, my Giesemann light fixture has a built-in microprocessor that "thinks" ... a bit too much. Moon phases, cloud simulations, and more settings than I want to reconfigure.

I wouldn't recommend plugging 1500W of lighting into the UPS under most circumstances.

nos2074

Point taken, my Giesemann light fixture has a built-in microprocessor that "thinks" ... a bit too much. Moon phases, cloud simulations, and more settings than I want to reconfigure.

I wouldn't recommend plugging 1500W of lighting into the UPS under most circumstances.

Oh I get it. You have one of those expensive smart lights. That makes much more sense to me now....

ViperDoug

Thank you all for the advice.

NOS2074: What brand and model of a generator are you using? I like the sound of $299. All of the generators I was looking at were in the thousand of dollars.

Orcrone

Thousands of dollars should get you a whole house unit with an automatic transfer unit (or something similar, can't remember the exact name). Haven't seen $299 units, but Home Depot or Lowe's carry them in the sub $1000 range. Just remember to start yours every 3 or 4 weeks. Doesn't do any good if it sits in storage for two years & won't start when needed.

Note to self: go home & start the generator. :smack:

tnwillia

This will take care of about anything in your tank. 4Kw would be better but your not going to get that in the 299 range. I used a gas gen as my long outage backup power "just for my tank". Short term I have Vortech's battery backup on my two MP-40s, I get 15 hours of circulation with that, it gives me time to get home and start the generator if needed. Have fun!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_106885-87012-40026_4294857298+5003701_4294937087_?productId=3218343&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_200%2B400_4294857298%2B5003701_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1&facetInfo=$200 - $400

DBrinson

My generator was essentially a gift from FEMA but it powers most of my house with no trouble. A friend of mine waited in line, to get it out of the back of a semi truck that was parked not too far from my house as part of "emergency relief". Can't remember what he paid for it, but it was subsidized, pretty much nominal. Definitely under $299. I could ask him next time I talk to him.

Thank you everyone who pays taxes in the USA.

nos2074

Thank you all for the advice.

NOS2074: What brand and model of a generator are you using? I like the sound of $299. All of the generators I was looking at were in the thousand of dollars.

This is one that I have although Its $15 more now than a few years ago. I have 3 by ETQ. Decent brand IMO. Great brand for the price.

ETQ Portable Generator — 3500 Surge Watts, 2800 Rated Watts, Model# TG28P41 | 1,000 - 4,999 Watts | Northern Tool + Equipment

Northern Tool has alot of generators. We use Honda and ETQ at work. The ETQ is no where as good as the Honda but it does the job. It's also no where near as expensive But we use them both with no problems for the last 3 years.

here try this 1,000 - 4,999 Watt Portable Generators | Portable Generators | Generators | Northern Tool + Equipment

luisgo

I have a APC 1000 va UPS to run three Koralias and a powerhead in the sump for 8 hours. For longer outages I use a Honda power generator.

generador2.jpg
generador1.jpg

glampka

Caution when using generators - you don't want to have any sensitive electronics like controllers or anything with processors plugged into them. Generators don't produce a constant voltage. You may get a surge & fry things.