Back Wall - To Paint or not to paint??

Angel Fin

What do you think??
I think I'll rip off that silly Greek Amphitheater background and paint back of tank black or dark blue.
What do you think would be best? Pics would show up contents of tank better too, huh!!
What kind of paint do you people use??

DaveK

I'd remove the background, but I'd just leave the tank alone.

In time the back will get coater with coralline and other algae, so you will not see the back anyway.

Blurp

I agree 100%, but there are tastes for everything....I've even seen works with polyurethane spray, which end up just like a stony background...

Angel Fin

Just getting good coralline growth now as have solved a brown algae problem--heat problem.
If I leave the back alone, and remove the paper background scene, there will be a significant amount of light enter from the back. No coralline on the back at present, but the brown algae does settle there.
Also all of the wiring/tubings will be exposed if I leave the back clear, at least until coralline takes over.
Would have to dismantle to use a spray paint.... not an option.

Angel Fin

Thanks Dani!!
The wallpaper has been on the outside since starting the tank up!! 3 years!!!!
I have been presistent if nothing else.
Perameters are all good, Air Conditioning is new in the house and has been a blessing!!!
Now have new hope for appearance of the tank!! Just trying to figure out if removal of the paper on the outside back of tank would be a good thing ..... and if I take it off, will I paint the back or not!??
Not a direct sunlight issue, but there would be an increase in light if it's removed.
Coralline tends to grow well in lower light areas.

molsen187

i read somewhere on this site or another reef site that painting the back can hurt your lighting since there is nowhere for the light to reflect off of when the back is covered. just something to consider. with the backgrounds you still have light getting through that glass.