back after so long and new question

nightfire76

hey guys its been a while since i been on here...in that time i had to take down my tank to install carpet, had to leave my fish with a friend for an emergency vist out of state and one of them died durring that time and about 300 dollars in corals too.....well...my question is whats your thoughts of me adding a kole tang to my 55 ? please no haters or tang police please....just real thoughts on it and if i got one it would be very small i like watching fish grow..by the way i only have two clowns and two engineer gobies

DaveK

Putting any tang in a 55 gal tank is not a good idea. At best, the tank size is marginal. Also, tangs, while great fish in many respects, they get rather large and produce a lot of waste. You'd really be much better off choosing a different fish. If you really just got to have a tang, a kole tang is as good a choice as any, but an even better option would be to upgrade the tank.

nightfire76

i do know about the watse and my system can handle in with my close to 100 lbs of rock and 29 gal fuge and oversized skimmer....i was thinking kole because they are graisers and thought make it wouldnt need to swim as much as say an orange shoulder and others....id upgrade but might be moving within the year or so...just looking for more active fish and not ones that will just hang out in a corner lol one i would like is a lemonpeel

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
My sense is that if you know what we're gonna say (by the tang police comment), I'd guess you'd already know the reasons why.

The only anti-tang police answer that may hold water is the whole "trade them in when they get big." Problem with this approach is its just cruel and impractical. Would you buy a baby saint Bernard puppy and trade it in after 6 months? Seems wrong.

I'd say stick with the non-"swimmers" as the confined space and added stress raises your chances of an ich outbreak tank-wide exponentially...

Just my thoughts though...

And like was said, it makes a great excuse to upgrade the tank to a six footer... :D

....Secret Super Hero....

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
nightfire76 said:
i do know about the watse and my system can handle in with my close to 100 lbs of rock and 29 gal fuge and oversized skimmer....i was thinking kole because they are graisers and thought make it wouldnt need to swim as much as say an orange shoulder and others....id upgrade but might be moving within the year or so...just looking for more active fish and not ones that will just hang out in a corner lol one i would like is a lemonpeel

What about a six line wrasses or similar "mini" wrasse? Wrasses are very active and some species stay very small...

....Secret Super Hero....

Tru2nr

Heres my thought..kole tang i'd say yes and ill take the heat for this...most tangs grow over 7 inches koles are ones who usually max out at 6. The kole would max you out. This is all providing 20% of your rock is in the fuge and the tank is at least 48" long...before i get flamed as im sure the tang police will want to. Water volume and filtration capable to handle the waste is handled and tangs being lateral swimmers still have the length of 48" to swim with more height then a 75g...flame on :beer:

Sent from my DROID3 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Tru2nr

for sure a lemonpeel or flame angel....the others im thinking is scooter blennie flasher wrass kole

Angels always have a coral munching chance i honestly wouldn't add anything else to the tank if you add the kole except for a scooter(if you have pods to support it) or a manderin(pod tule applied)

...my names Donnie and I like bishkits