Baby Urchin

aquaman3680

My parents had one, kinda green, that came on the liverock for about a year. He never ventured out of his area... but he grinded the rock into sand... I would say you are fine with him...

Matt

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I had one as a hitchhiker... It's grown pretty big. The spines are 5" long now but it's pretty careful moving around my corals without causing any trouble.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
It always amazed me how these urchin maneuver about the rocks. I would see them when I was diving off the West Coast of Florida. It was fun to cut them inhalf and watch all the fish swarm around for lunch.

saltwaterfarm

I have one of the mine/pencil urchins that I found as a hitchhiker 4 or 5 months ago. It was the size of a pencil eraser (spines and all) now about the size of a quarter. Never goes very far... haven't noticed any harm. Good luck with your new hitchhiker!

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Here's a pic of my long spine.

Picture028.jpg

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Stunning! Can you frag that? I'd like a piece.

Sometimes it loses spines if I chase it away in order to stick my arm in the tank. I brushed up against it once... thank god it was so lite that it didn't puncture my skin. Otherwise... I would have fragged it with a vengeance!!!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
There are some fish that like to hide among those hypodermic arrows, do any of your fish use them for protection? (ouch!):eek:h:

Attachments

• syringe.jpg
    syringe.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 38

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
There are some fish that like to hide among those hypodermic arrows, do any of your fish use them for protection? (ouch!):eek:h:

None of my fish do... but I get scared sometimes around feeding time when my fish go nuts... a few close calls where I thought my tang would be speared!:tongue: