Baby turbo snail????

Reefstick

Not sure if this is a baby turbo snail or not. Any ideas guys?
Snail1.JPG

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Probably Collonista snails.

Collonista [Link 1, 2] (Figure 10)
Collonista are "mini-Turbo snails." They are seldom purchased by hobbyists, but are relatively common in reef tanks anyway, because they appear to hitchhike in on live rock or in some live sand. When hobbyists first see them, they presume them to be "baby" grazers of some sort. Instead, they have some of these animals. They reach a maximum adult size of about 1/4th inch (6 mm) in height and diameter. They are often tan to white and have mottled brown color patterns on the shell. They can be distinguished from all other Trochoideans by their small size and the presence of a small pit or hole in the center of the calcareous operculum that plugs the aperture. They reproduce well in aquaria, and are quite good grazers. If present in large numbers, they may effectively replace all other grazers in our systems.
Collonista. These small Trochoideans are distinguished by their minute size and
by the small pit in the center of their operculum.

I have them all in my reef too. They come out to graze the rock at night time. Here is a pic of mine...

61tiny_tiger_trochus_snail.JPG

Gina

RS STAFF
I agree with Woodstock’s ID. We had them in our old tack before the brace broke and we had to do an emergency upgrade. They are kind of like cockroaches in a good way. By the time you notice them; they probably have a good population started. If you notice any during the day, try looking for them at night. You may be surprised how many you find.

Vanquish

Gina said:
I agree with Woodstock’s ID. We had them in our old tack before the brace broke and we had to do an emergency upgrade. They are kind of like cockroaches in a good way. By the time you notice them; they probably have a good population started. If you notice any during the day, try looking for them at night. You may be surprised how many you find.

Yup... the missus have been tinking I'm mad, but peering into the tank with a torchlight has become a daily 10minute routine... most of the time I see something new!! :D And those pesky crabs as well... :(