Baby snails hatched! What kind are they?

modulok

I probably have over 1,000 of these very tiny white snails in my tank. Finally got out the macro lens and got a few pics. Can anyone tell me which species they are?

2371.jpeg

2372.jpeg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I don't know BUT I hope they are the GOOD KIND, that's a buncha BAD if not. Yep, cool pictures! :)
Good luck on them being good snails :D

modulok

If they are bad snails I am screwed, lol. Way too many to find and pluck out of the tank.

Well they don't really look like what I put in the tank (the white shell I assume will change color).

All from ReefCleaners.
Dwarf Cerith
Dwarf Planaxis
Florida Cerith
Nassarius Vibex
Nerite Snails
Virgin Nerites
Zig Zag Periwinkles

theplantman

At this early stage, I am going to guess they are a bunch of baby nerites, that is the closest I can see to the shell structure of the snails you have.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Those look like Collinista snails - harmless algae eaters. Google images for these snails and see if they match up. If they do, you're ok!

theplantman

modulok

Yeah, I have seen some eggs on the glass, and on different empty shells and rocks. I forgot I did have some Mexican Turbos that died, but those were huge. Also have one Tiger Turbo Snail, and another 1 or 2 of hitchhiker snails that are medium sized.
This looks like what I have.

Collinista
tsCUo.jpg

theplantman

If they get bigger than a BB, then you will know they aren't collinista. Keep us posted, this one has me curious.

ReefingFun

Found this rather interesting so went ahead and searched a bit on the net. I came across a picture that looks similar in shape or so I think at least.

snail_egg.jpg

babysnail.jpg

According to the guy from wetwebmedia, on which the question was asked what these might be, he answered the following:

Although it is possible, I don't think these are babies. I am more inclined to think these are some sort of very tiny snail species, possibly (hopefully) mini Turbos (Collonista spp.) which would be a beneficial addition to your tank. Mini Turbos primarily graze on diatoms and microalgae.

Topic(scroll down a bit): SnailID12

Might be the same case with yours?

reefer gladness

Spiral banded trochus breed like mad in my tank and look just like that. If you noticed little round white patches on your rock I would definitely say trochus as that seems to be the early stage before they hatch.

modulok

I took some more shots with a Dino Cam...got some real good close ups. The shell actually looks like the shape of those Turbos I used to have.

2373.jpeg
2374.jpeg