Baby Mantis

oceanicmike

I just noticed a small creature lurking under one of my live rocks. I'm 99% sure it is a small or baby mantis. Roughly about an inch long. Quick little son of a B. All my fish, shrimp and cuc are alive and well but I have a feeling its only a matter of time before they start to disappear. I want to get it out of the tank asap. I can see where he hangs out under this one live rock but not sure if this is his "home." I do notice him moving a lot of sand around under this rock like he is making a lair. I want to remove that rock but not sure if he will scurry out into another one when I pick it up. Any suggestions? I read about those so called mantis traps but do they really work? Haven't tried anything yet. Thanks for your input

-Mike

ReefApprentice

Try taking out that "home" rock and giving it it short FW dip and if he is still in the rock he will scurry out. It would help a lot if you could get a picture. Another tip is to try a trap and train him that if he goes in the trap he gets food. Do it for about a week or until he is trained and then one day activate it while he is in it and bam you caught him! I would recommend keeping because they make a great and very interesting species tank.

theplantman

If you do catch him, keep him safe. I am sure someone here would be happy to pay shipping costs for him and take him off your hands. Good Luck

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Not sure where you are in NJ but if you get him I live in NJ as well. If you are looking to unload him I have a 40 breeder I've been dieing to get wet :clink:

oceanicmike

Attempt one failed. I pulled out the rock and he must have snuck out through the bottom. Now I will have no idea where his new hiding place will be. I guess its back to a waiting game.

oceanicmike

Ok so I put the rock that he was hiding in back in the tank. About 15 minutes later I see him back in the same rock like he is mocking me. This time I'm going to have some help. I get my gf involved who was thrilled btw. She quickly grabs the rock as I put two nets under it and pulls it out of the tank. After sitting the rock in a bucket of fresh water over night and no sign of it I decided I have to sacrifice the rock. After dissecting the rock "carefully" with a hammer, finally out came the mantis. RIP little guy. What a fiasco.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
To bad you killed him. I would have traded you some rock for your rock with the mantis.