Babies!!!!!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Congratulations!!! :thumbup:

I've had my first batch of bangaii just a few days ago. I'll be watching your progress with switching them to frozen foods!

IamELMO

Yes, unfortunately it's a sad update.

It turns out my 9L every 5 days water changes weren't enough. The babies started dying, I tested the water and trates were off the charts at 100+. I did a 50% WC at they were still 100+. I changed wnough water to get it to 4 but I think either the damage had been done or it upset them enough that what nutrition they were getting from the NHBBS wasn't enough. They started seizing and shaking from what appears to be Sudden Fright Syndrome.

Long story short - I have two left :(

IamELMO

Yeah, it is my first time. So I am taking a lot of lessons away from this experience. Oh, and I have 3 not 2, one was seizing as I was typing and assumed the worst - he's ok now.

But yes, water changes and correct nutrition I think - these could be a lot of fun and quite financially viable even at the hobbyist level

ritter6788

Would a few pieces of liverock and maybe a shallow sandbed in the tank help keep the nitrates down? I can only see from the picture some airline tubing. Are you using anything for circulation or nitrifying bacteria growth?

IamELMO

I have two airline tubes pumping air for both circulation and oxygenation, I was (am) doing water changes for water quality.

I will put some rock in there too - I have some in my sump. Good idea.

I think next time, I will start with live rock - could also cover for the urchin as they use this for cover so I assume live rock would work the same?

ritter6788

I don't think you can keep up with the water quality without some kind of bio filtration, liverock or a hang on the back filter with a sponge in it. In a small tank with that many fish and heavy feeding you would probably have to change a little of the water everyday. I'll bet with some good established liverock and maybe a very small powerhead or HOB filter for circulation you wouldn't have to change the water very much at all. Good Luck!

IamELMO

I don't think you can keep up with the water quality without some kind of bio filtration, liverock or a hang on the back filter with a sponge in it. In a small tank with that many fish and heavy feeding you would probably have to change a little of the water everyday. I'll bet with some good established liverock and maybe a very small powerhead or HOB filter for circulation you wouldn't have to change the water very much at all. Good Luck!

I agree - these are the lessons I've learnt. Next time will be significantly different

chicagoclowns

How can you tell the difference between male and female in these fish?

Also do you think maybe rotifers as the first food might provide them with more nutrition and then the brine babies?

IamELMO

Males and females can tentatively be id'd by closely checking behind the anal fin. There are two little "thorns or bumps" males has 1 and females 2 (or the other way round, I forget).

The babies are able to strike at newly hatched brine shrimp and this seems to be an accepted standard but it seems most successful breeders either enrich them or get the babies onto frozen food successfully a lot earlier. Although I have also read that rotifers can be beneficial but they are a mission to get in NZ