Automatic Top off and Water Level in Sump/Tank

biju708

Hi Fellows,
hope you can help me out on this one. I am in the process of completely changing my setup since I am going to install a chiller and also get a bigger sump with a good sized refugium area and do not have any free space in the cabinet.
I am going to do the whole thing in reverse meaning the sump will be on top of the main tank and not below hope the pic can explain better.

Now my question is this currently my ATO unit is connected to the sump and when water level decreases it automatically fills it with RO water. My logic tells me that the water level in the sump decreases because the overflow in the main tank slows down. With the current setup should I place the ATO unit connected to the sump or directly to the main tank. I would rather not use the latter option as it involves more work and additional pipes going to the tank.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• design_new_setup.jpg
    design_new_setup.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 69

kinghokus420

your evaporation shows in the return chamber. the overflows work at a constant speed dependent on the flow from your return pump. you should put your ATO in the return chamber. the water levels in the tank/fuge etc should not change at all. i believe it is the same idea no matter where the sump/fuge is located.

biju708

The thing is that there will not be any overflow box. Water will be sucked directly from the tank and pumbed up to the next floor then the water will flow down from the sump via gravety. There is no risk of a flood since the sump will be above aquarium level. In the sump the water will over flow to the chamber and go down to the main tank.

The system is completly in reverse meaning that water will overflow from the sump not the tank.

goldenmean

The thing is that there will not be any overflow box. Water will be sucked directly from the tank and pumbed up to the next floor then the water will flow down from the sump via gravety. There is no risk of a flood since the sump will be above aquarium level. In the sump the water will over flow to the chamber and go down to the main tank.

I am probably missing something here. . . . but. . .
What happens in case of a power/pump failure?
Would not gravity continue to cause the water to flow from the sump down to the display thus overfilling and flooding the display?

biju708

no because there is an overflow in the sump on top. If there is a powerfailure water will stop going to the sump thus no water will flow down.

waucedah_joe

Not sure how well this setup will work but to answer your original question, if the sump level is basically constant because of the overflow, then the ATO float switch should be in the main tank since that is where the level will drop due to evaporation.

biju708

Hi fellows, I went ahead as planned for the sump on top of the tank and surprisingly enough it's working like a charm here are some photos of the setup. Now I just need to clean everything up before my wife kills me :)

sumpsetup0.jpg

sumpsetup1.jpg

sumpsetup3.jpg

sumpsetup4.jpg

sumpsetup5.jpg

sumpsetup6.jpg