Auto Top-Off Systems?

zy112

I am considering buying an auto top off system because I am hoping to take a job where I could travel up to a week a month, more likely a week every couple months. I'm also training my girlfriend as a back up but we all know how long it takes to become "compitent" dealing with a reef tank. Although I should have it were it will just need top off water.

My question is do you use auto top offs? If so what brand? I was looking at the POSEIDON on Aqua FX site just because I have the barracuda ro/di unit from them. Having never used an auto top-off I am a rookie at this and feel more comfortable doing it myself daily. Got any advise/suggestions?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I use a homemade (made by Brian_e) auto top off that has two float switches and is encased by clear acrylic and also can be hung on the side of the sump (with easy adjustments up and down using a plastic wing nut) (see pic below).

Also check out these sites:
AutoTopoff.com
do-it-yourself guides

floats_auto_topoff.jpg

Last edited:

corrado007

I use a homemade auto top off that has two float switches and is encased by clear acrylic and also can be hung on the side of the sump (with easy adjustments up and down using a plastic wing nut)

Wow, that's a great float switch holder. Good job!

Mine isn't nearly as nice but it's a very similar set-up as well. It's a great way to go and a bit less expensive than buying kits. It also allows you to customize it to better integrate into your tank/system if you're into the DIY thing.
Although not as elaborate, here are a few pics of my set-up as well. You can also see some more detail of mine in my chronicle linked in my signature.

FloatSwitches.jpg

WaterTest1.jpg

ATOAqualiftPump.jpg

Hope that helps.

Snelly40

i got mine from autotopoff.com and it is great.
I would get the doulble float switch, safer.
Very easy to set up from them and even if you werent going to be traveling i would recomend one. Will add a little at a time to keep from any swings in the water levels

kinghokus420

2 thumbs up for autotopoff.com
everything was included. i also bought their pump for an extra 6 or 7 bucks.
so far it has worked very well but the floats need an occasional vinegar bath. i've had to soak them overnight twice in 2 years. not a big deal considering the use they get.

JoJo

just looked at autotopoff.com and i'm happy with the price and look of their products so i will be ordering the double switch shortly

I have my RO/DI unit plumbed into my sump using dual Kent float valves. Nothing electric, don't have to worry about snails making the switches stick. I clean them every once in a while to reduce calcium buildup. It's a pressure driven system that, in my oppinion, is pretty safe.

mps9506

I have my RO/DI unit plumbed into my sump using dual Kent float valves. Nothing electric, don't have to worry about snails making the switches stick. I clean them every once in a while to reduce calcium buildup. It's a pressure driven system that, in my oppinion, is pretty safe.

I've had bad luck personally with the float valves sticking at the shop in the past, so I only use the float switches (encased in plastic to keep snails out) now :D
Even better I purchased a Tunze osmolator a few years ago with LED's to detect water level (no sticking, no snails etc). The only thing I didn't like about the Tunze unit is the complex bracketry that it came with.

I've had bad luck personally with the float valves sticking at the shop in the past, so I only use the float switches (encased in plastic to keep snails out) now :D
Even better I purchased a Tunze osmolator a few years ago with LED's to detect water level (no sticking, no snails etc). The only thing I didn't like about the Tunze unit is the complex bracketry that it came with.

The osmolator sounds awesome! Did you have problems with the valves sticking in the up position so that they wouldn't allow water in, or were they stuck in the down position so that they allowed too much in? I'm interested because I haevn't had the setup for too long and am interested in potential problems that I might encounter.

zy112

With me possibly traveling I want the best system, or a very good one at least. I need to be able to sleep at night knowing my salinity is not skyrocketing lol. The tunze looks sweet... is it as good as its price?

Reefwerks

With me possibly traveling I want the best system, or a very good one at least. I need to be able to sleep at night knowing my salinity is not skyrocketing lol. The tunze looks sweet... is it as good as its price?

What makes the tunze so reliable is the optical sensor. There are no moving parts for the primary optical so less chance of failure. The opticals are so accurate you can use them as a trigger to shut down your skimmer when its full. Ive never owned the tunze but use plenty of opticals and I would say they are many times more reliable than a float switch.

Don

mps9506

The osmolator sounds awesome! Did you have problems with the valves sticking in the up position so that they wouldn't allow water in, or were they stuck in the down position so that they allowed too much in? I'm interested because I haevn't had the setup for too long and am interested in potential problems that I might encounter.

We had a float valve in our reef tank stick in the down and open, but just barely, water was dripping out, but crashed that particular tank.
The one in our RO/DI tank had a plastic part fall off and stuck open as well. We continued to use a float valve in the RO/DI tank because it's not conducive to mounting float switches, but we plumbed in an emergency overflow to a drain pipe that goes straight to the sewage system.
I won't use one on a reef tank again though.

mps9506

What makes the tunze so reliable is the optical sensor. There are no moving parts for the primary optical so less chance of failure. The opticals are so accurate you can use them as a trigger to shut down your skimmer when its full. Ive never owned the tunze but use plenty of opticals and I would say they are many times more reliable than a float switch.

Don

Yep, and it comes with a backup float switch just in case :)
My only complaint is the mounting bracketry.

zy112

From what I've read thats everyones only complaint Mike. Sounds like the product is solid though. I'm glad I got bad customer service from auto top-off last week bc I was going to order one.