Auto fill, filled and filled and filled!

Narowly avoided a disaster last night. Around 10 pm, my aqua c skimmer started making weird noises. Upon investigation i noticed that my sump was just starting to over flow. I lost only a gallon or so on to the floor.
The kent float valve stuck open after only 2 months of service. I was extremely fortunate that it failed when it did. I was in colorado for the last 4 days, that would have been a real mess if that failed a day or two before.
Very lucky
Dane

BoomerD

I keep tellin people,

MURPHY WAS AN OPTOMIST!!

Yep, you certainly got lucky with this...Any idea what caused the float valve to stick?

mwrager

I have an auto fill on my system. I have had it for over 2 years without a problem. But my auto fill does have an alarm. If the sump gets to full for some reason it sets of an alarm. This happened only one time when my main return pump for my tank stopped. Look into a Tunze Auto Fill system.

Originally posted by BoomerD

Any idea what caused the float valve to stick?

3 words- Made in Chinia

No mater what position the float is in the valve is now open... it just broke!

I lose 6-7 gallons of water per day out of the 220g tank. I cant live without an auto fill. i need to look into the dual electronic float valve setup.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
www.autotopoff.com

I bought a single float switch from him, works great, he was a pleasure to deal with, and is a fellow reefer. The only thing I would do different would be to pay the 5 bucks extra to be able to switch it off for water changes, etc..

well any single valve or switch is going to eventually fail, so the best idea is to have 2 or 3 reduadant switches or valves so that if one sticks open you have a backup, and a backup for the backup. etc.etc. Autofills are super cool, but can really screw you up from time to time... im glad i didnt have to go un-flood your condo while you where in CO. lol.

Originally posted by sincityreefer
im glad i didnt have to go un-flood your condo while you where in CO. lol.

Well at least i had the foresight to leave the shop vac next to the tank:drown:

AS you call her "the wife" would have been worthless if that happened. I can see it now... "Uh Dane my best shoes are ruined because your stupid fish tank flooded your house again"

Last edited:

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
Such a timely post. I am moving soon and am considering an auto topoff in the new condo. I really liked the RO selenoid! But I am seriously considering the double float valve that sincityreefer mentioned. Combined with the selenoid it should make for a bullet-proof system.

I think im going to go with this setup
http://www.reef-relief.com/index-products-aatoc.htm
and run the output line through one of those kent float valves mounted a few inches above the waterline so if for some reason both float switches fail and the normally closed celinoid sticks open, then kent valve will pinch it off before it overflows. That seems pretty bullet proof to me. but the double switch from autotop off seems pretty nice too and its quite a bit less $$$. I think those kent valves should only be used in combination with something else, they just dont inspire confidence in me, especailly with something that could so easilly cause a flood or a run dry situation. Whats the point of making an automated top off system if you have to check it everytime you walk by the tank to make sure is filling and shutting off right, why not just fill it up yourself at that point, at least then you wouldnt have to worry about a flood. just my .02 cents.

Originally posted by JeepersReefers

AS you call her "the wife" would have been worthless if that happened. I can see it now... "Uh Dane my best shoes are ruined because your stupid fish tank flooded your house again"

throw out the stupid girl, problem solved. ;) besides its your house you can flood it as much as you want.!!!! lol

Last edited:
Originally posted by sincityreefer
throw out the stupid girl, problem solved. ;) besides its your house you can flood it as much as you want.!!!! lol

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D LOL, LOL, LOL:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for the laugh... It is MY house after all, but ill pass on flooding it again.

mps9506

We used one of the Kent float valves on a FW tank at work to autofill. It got stuck off one time and we could figure out what was happening for a while as it seem like they alway stick open.

We did build in an overflow drain in case it did stick on.Wouldn't work to welll for a SW tank as it would still dilute the water.

I plan on ordering my next top off setup from either autotopoff.com , or I will buy the Tunze osmolator.
Both seem pretty safe to use.
Mike

mwrager

I like the tunze osmolator. I have the out put of the pump going into my kulk reactor then to the sump. then in the holding tank I have a light that comes on when it needs filled. I have had no problem.