Attn all members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReefLady

Staff member
It has come to my attention that certain people are using our PM system to recruit members or bring their attention to another site.

It's not just abuse at this point, it's betrayal. It's deliberately attempting to harm RS for their own personal gain. Why these people feel the need to try to harm RS I will never understand, as I/we never did anything but offer them a place to call home. It actually saddens me.

However it is what it is, and in the tradition of RS taking the high road, we're not going to dwell on that.

But please, if you have received a PM from anyone directing you to another forum, or if you do in the future, please forward the PM to myself or a moderator.

If we discover such a PM, the offending member is subject to being banned.

It saddens me to have to deal with any of this, but I feel I've been left with no choice.

Ashr

This is just sad. I visit here and one other Canadian site and these sites are by far the best. If I see any sort of PM like this I will pass it your way!

carlfike

It's not just abuse at this point, it's betrayal. It's deliberately attempting to harm RS for their own personal gain. Why these people feel the need to try to harm RS I will never understand, as I/we never did anything but offer them a place to call home. It actually saddens me.

This is simply absurd. You're talking about a forum not a business. Everyone here is a member of more than. Someone browsing another isn't betrayal or causing harm. That's just my opinion.

ReefLady

Staff member
Sorry if you misunderstood me... I was talking about those who have been actively trying to steal our members. And disparaging RS in order to do so. I don't expect any reefer to only frequent RS... That would be, as you put it, absurd.

Sorry if that came across wrong

Thanks for pointing out the need to clarify. :)

Doogle

I think banning is extreme. I'm on a handful of different sites but this was my first. :bouncer:
Each site has advantages over others. How can you say anything has been stolen...in fact I think some have been paying (premium) members for awhile and have brought a lot to this site and to ban anyone for using PM is wrong!
Maybe there is more to it? :confused:I don't know... Don't care, why? It can't be worth banning if its a PM between users. We are suggested to settle debates and give each other links and info civilly with a PM whenever its necessary. What's been stolen? :nopity:
From a neutral perspective ....live and let live.
RS should be above this and take the high road, like you say...
ignore:

steved13

PREMIUM
These are sad developments. Things have been going on for quite sometime, and it is sad that Travis was left with no other choice.

Some of my opinions:

First off...a forum is a business. I doubt it creates a lot of profit, but at least enough to make it self supporting. Next recruiting from one forum for another, is the same as a competitor going to a store to steal a customer, that store spends money to keep their doors open and attract customers for their survival...forums are no different. RS spends a lot of time and energy to make this the forum that it is, we keep it family friendly, and mostly on target for aquarium discussion and information. Most of us found RS because we were searching the web for info and found the answer here. It seems to me that is the way to recruit members...have good content, and make everyone welcome, including your children.

Nobody has been or will be banned simply for visiting another site.

RS is where it is because of it's awesome members, and great content. Thanks to all who participate.

ReefLady

Staff member
We would ban anyone who used the PM system to try to drum up business for their mobile phone web site, and no one would argue.

Or their drygoods store if they weren't a sponsor... unsolicited messages is spamming, and recruiting members using our PM system is abuse any way you slice it.

We've always been very light on the ban stick here, but spammers and those who abuse the site for their own gain have no place here.

Builtschic

I'm sure everyone uses more than just one reefing forum and is loyal to many also. If there is info on another forum then why can't someone suggest looking at it to a fellow friend through a PM and not through the public site. It seems as if you are invading people's privacy by going through their PM's(Private messages) and in my opinion I do not feel that is right to do. Just my .02cents in the whole situation

Builtschic

These are sad developments. Things have been going on for quite sometime, and it is sad that Travis was left with no other choice.

Some of my opinions:

First off...a forum is a business. I doubt it creates a lot of profit, but at least enough to make it self supporting. Next recruiting from one forum for another, is the same as a competitor going to a store to steal a customer, that store spends money to keep their doors open and attract customers for their survival...forums are no different. RS spends a lot of time and energy to make this the forum that it is, we keep it family friendly, and mostly on target for aquarium discussion and information. Most of us found RS because we were searching the web for info and found the answer here. It seems to me that is the way to recruit members...have good content, and make everyone welcome, including your children.

Nobody has been or will be banned simply for visiting another site.

RS is where it is because of it's awesome members, and great content. Thanks to all who participate.

So people can be banned for involvement with an another forum when no recruiting has been done? Seems childish as Blade had stated already

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
So people can be banned for involvement with an another forum when no recruiting has been done? Seems childish as Blade had stated already

Really? You quoted the answer in your very own post/quote from Steve....

TNobody has been or will be banned simply for visiting another site.

Come on gang... let this drama go.... what's done in the past is done... let's move on and get back to enjoying the forums and not causing more problems here... there and everywhere... Let's get back to reefing and being friends.... :hug1:

steved13

PREMIUM
It's one thing to post a link for informational purposes, and quite another to make a PM for the purposes of recruiting members to another site.

Nobody is trying to control how many forums anyone is on. It's just wrong to use RS resources to build up somebody elses business in that way.

I'm pretty sure these differences are understood by all, but just making sure.

Edit: I was posting while you were AL....good advice...moving on.

ReefLady

Staff member
I will reiterate one more time and then lock the thread...

1. No one is or will be banned for participating on another site. That would certainly be childish and is not what we're talking about here.

2. Anyone who abuses our site to recruit members or customers will be banned. As has always been the case.

3. The only people who have been banned were those who abused the site, as stated above. EXCEPT...

4. I banned Bladeyamaha by mistake. I have already lifted the ban and apologized. I feel really bad about it and have done everything I can to correct it.

5. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.