ATO can't keep up with evaporation

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Since I changed out the water cooling fan to a dual computer case fan, my JBJ ATO can't keep up with the evaporation. I have to manually top off or the water level in the back of the RSM250 gets so low that it blows micro bubbles. Any suggestions?

Pat24601

Since I changed out the water cooling fan to a dual computer case fan, my JBJ ATO can't keep up with the evaporation. I have to manually top off or the water level in the back of the RSM250 gets so low that it blows micro bubbles. Any suggestions?

You are way more experienced than me. So, I wouldn't presume to give you advice.

I am curious, though. Why can't the ATO keep up? How many gallons a day is evaporating?

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Pat, I think that my container holds about 8 gallons. It never runs dry because the pump is too tall. I add water at least once a week. Probably add about 5 gallons, when I add water.

I am not sure why the ATO can't keep up. I know the new fan is quieter and stronger than the stock fan.

pablomay28

Get the tunze osmolator nano 3152 for $107. I have it in my RSM 250 with a 10 gal external sump and it does an awesome job. Though rated for a 55 gal system it has worked with no problems on my set up for over a year. I go through about 7-8 gallons a week since going to an external sump with a bigger fan.

DaveK

I'd be looking for a problem with your ATO, it's likely the pump needs cleaning internally, or is leaking back into the ATO water. In other words, a seal or check valve might be bad.

A large reef system can evaporate a lot of water. In the summer, mine can require about a bucket, 2 1/2 gal a day. Even so, your pump should be able to keep up.

Yes, something like a Tunze osmolator is a good piece of equipment, but don't go out and buy new stuff unless you really need it.

Last edited:

Danreef

What do you meant with " I can't keep up " with evaporation ?

I have JBJ in my 2 tanks and they work flowlessly.

2 points with the JBJ:

A) Operating time of the pump. From factory the JBJs are setup to activate the pump for ONLY !! ~4 minutes. It is the security system to avoid overflow. If your pump is not powerful enough to fill the evaporated volume in that time, the JBJ will stop and you have to reset it (unplug and plug again).

B) You have a pump that is not powerful enough to replace the water in those ~4 minutes.

SOLUTIONS

A) Timer: Go to Marinedepot and in the JBJ section you will find the pdf, to download, explaining how to change the timer up to 45 minutes !!!. More pumping time for a low powerful pump Will solve the problem without changing the pump.

B) Change the pump. Get a more powerful one.

I hope this helps !!!
Cheers
Daniel

PS: go Marinedepot JBJ and in product description you will find the pictures and hiw to change the timer.....if you want to do that .

Let see if this link works :
http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_ATO_...BJ_Lighting-JB5111-FIDPETPU-4-vi.html#Manuals

Last edited:

Danreef

FAQ

Q: How large of a pump can I plug into the A.T.O.?
A: The A.T.O. receptacle will handle pumps up to 2amp capacity.

Q: Can the Audible Alert be turned off?
A: Yes, it can be turned off if the "Speaker Buzzer" is removed from the circuit board.

Q: Why does my A.T.O. automatically shut off after a few minutes of operation even though the water level has not reached the float sensor?
A: All A.T.O. Controllers have a factory "Float Fail-Safe" duration time period of 3 minutes and 45 seconds of operation before power to the pump is turned off. The Pump LED will glow but power to the pump will not be turned on. This feature was designed to act as a safety mechanism in the unlikely event the float sensor(s) failed or if something was to get stuck in between the sensor(s). You will have to reset the float sensor(s) to restart the controller.

Q: Can I adjust the "Float Fail-Safe" duration time period?
A: Yes, the duration time can be extended to 14 minutes of operation. (Please see instructions below on adjustment.)

How to Adjust the "Float Fail-Safe" Time Duration

Step1:
Unscrew back panel off of controller (4) total screws Adjusting Dial is located towards the top in "Blue Color"
dosing_pumps_top_off_jbj_ato_step1_a.jpg
dosing_pumps_top_off_jbj_ato_step1_b.jpg

Step2:
Use a Phillips screwdriver and turn the dial COUNTER CLOCKWISE until it locks. This setting will give a operation mode time of approximately 14 minutes or until correct water level is reached.

dosing_pumps_top_off_jbj_ato_step2.jpg

Pat24601

What do you meant with " I can't keep up " with evaporation ?

I have JBJ in my 2 tanks and they work flowlessly.

2 points with the JBJ:

A) Operating time of the pump. From factory the JBJs are setup to activate the pump for ONLY !! ~4 minutes. It is the security system to avoid overflow. If your pump is not powerful enough to fill the evaporated volume in that time, the JBJ will stop and you have to reset it (unplug and plug again).

B) You have a pump that is not powerful enough to replace the water in those ~4 minutes.

SOLUTIONS

A) Timer: Go to Marinedepot and in the JBJ section you will find the pdf, to download, explaining how to change the timer up to 45 minutes !!!. More pumping time for a low powerful pump Will solve the problem without changing the pump.

B) Change the pump. Get a more powerful one.

I hope this helps !!!
Cheers
Daniel

PS: go Marinedepot JBJ and in product description you will find the pictures and hiw to change the timer.....if you want to do that .

Let see if this link works :
http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_ATO_...BJ_Lighting-JB5111-FIDPETPU-4-vi.html#Manuals

While I clearly don't know anything useful about this, this line of thought seems logically promising to me.

I totally agree with Davek about not buying new equipment unless you need it.

Danreef

Get the tunze osmolator nano 3152 for $107. I have it in my RSM 250 with a 10 gal external sump and it does an awesome job. Though rated for a 55 gal system it has worked with no problems on my set up for over a year. I go through about 7-8 gallons a week since going to an external sump with a bigger fan.

I had issues with it in my RSM 250. 2 Times the sensor was blocked with air bubbles trapped between the sensor and the acrilic housing protecting the sensor. I took pictures.
The security system will stop after XX time of continuous pumping. In the factory graph you will see that it will pump 1.5 G of water before stoping. Twice happened to my 250 and I have to allow the system to evaporate that big volume to recover my salinity.
I had the floting switch in the left chamber where the level window is.

I am sure the bubbles came from the skimmer.

Cheers
Daniel

Danreef

Here we go....this is the Tunze Nano floating switch When, for the second time, it was blocked.

See the bubbles trapped in the acrilic housing Pushing the sensor up !!!

Below the sensor is the black sponge with feather dusters :)

pablomay28

I had issues with it in my RSM 250. 2 Times the sensor was blocked with air bubbles trapped between the sensor and the acrilic housing protecting the sensor. I took pictures.
The security system will stop after XX time of continuous pumping. In the factory graph you will see that it will pump 1.5 G of water before stoping. Twice happened to my 250 and I have to allow the system to evaporate that big volume to recover my salinity.
I had the floting switch in the left chamber where the level window is.

I am sure the bubbles came from the skimmer.

Cheers
Daniel
Before going with the external sump I had the sensor in the same place and never had a problem

Last edited:

Snelly40

Pat, I think that my container holds about 8 gallons. It never runs dry because the pump is too tall. I add water at least once a week. Probably add about 5 gallons, when I add water.

I am not sure why the ATO can't keep up. I know the new fan is quieter and stronger than the stock fan.

pump is too tall? is there another pump that could work?>

Danreef

Before going with the external sump I had the sensor in the same place and never had a problem

As I always say, each tank is a different world.

I wasn't lucky as you. I can see a bubble trapped in the acrilic housing of yours. But I had more and bigger. Could be because I had, in that moment the sponges, or could be..... Who knows !!!

Cheers !!!
Daniel

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Been gone all day, so just down seeing these.

I know that the time sets on JBJ and that it comes set to 4 minutes. I have adjusted it to run 13 minutes. That is the maximum. I have a new Eheim 1250 pump for top off pump. It has six foot head.

Didn't have the problem before I changed fans, but even though this seems to be a much better fan. I have trouble believing that it is so much better job that the tank is evaporating that much more in a day. The container holds about eight gallons, of course it can't run through all eight gallons becaus of the way the pump is made. I fill the container about once a week, sometimes every five days.

As far as the Tunze, I thought about them but have actually heard some horrors stories about those bubbles causing cut off problems and electric equipment kept in the stand interfering with the unit working. Both of these resulted in the top off overflowing the tank.

Last edited:

Danreef

Been gone all day, so just down seeing these.

I know that the time sets on JBJ and that it comes set to 4 minutes. I have adjusted it to run 13 minutes. That is the maximum. I have a new Eheim 1250 pump for top off pump. It has six foot head.

Didn't have the problem before I changed fans, but even though this seems to be a much better fan. I have trouble believing that it is so much better job that the tank is evaporating that much more in a day. The container holds about eight gallons, of course it can't run through all eight gallons becaus of the way the pump is made. I fill the container about once a week, sometimes every five days.

As far as the Tunze, I thought about them but have actually heard some horrors stories about those bubbles causing cut off problems and electric equipment kept in the stand interfering with the unit working. Both of these resulted in the top off overflowing the tank.

OK.... that is a big issue. JBJ with the timer at the top. Powerful pump. Mama mia, neither I think any other ATO will help you.

Let me ask you a question, mainly for me to learn, with the security timer set at 13 minutes and that pump, the issue is the amount of RODI (8G) in the water reservoir OR the 13 minutes is not enought to fill the evaporated water ?

Have you tried the JBJ setup where do you have both sensors in the same place.?

I will try to find an old picture in my phone.

I had sensor 1 and 2 housings glued by the sides. One sensor is less than half inch higher (See setup in manual). I glued them because with the supports I can't get such small difference in high. So the highest sensor is the max level. Water evaporate half an inch and the second sensor is activated and replenish that volume. The highest sensor goes up and stop the pump.

I used this setup in a 12 G where more than a half inch is a significant change (first tank pictured in my thread) and continue using it in the RSM 250.

Just a though thinking in your problem.

Cheers
Daniel

Aquadude

Debbie my Tunze osmolator has been working great. The only problem that I had was that the pump stopped working but that was because I let my ATO container run dry. If the pump adds too much water it will hit the sensor which sounds an alarm and shuts off the pump. I don't see how anything could go wrong with it unless the water height sensors go bad.

Danreef

Here you go ..... this was the 12G 36 x8x9 inches.

See the JBJ sensors glued and with a net to avoid the snails. I need to have them in the tank.

Soom this picture and you will see the sensors side by side glued.

Last edited:

Danreef

With that Setup your evaporation rate will not change. So if that is the case.....a bigger RODI container ?

Cheers
Daniel
ps: I run out if ideas....sorry :-(