Atlantic Condylactis Anemone

AJK

Hello, how difficult is it to maintain a Condylactis anomone? Really wanted to get one earlier this evening. Does it do well with clownfish/bluetail damsel? I have an established 19 month old 20 gal. Thanks for any feedback.

DaveK

Condylactis anomones can be a little tricky, but not impossible. It's critical that you start with a healthy one. Like some other anemones, they have symbiotic algae. If you see a Condylactis that looks white or pink, this algae has died, and getting it to live any length of time is much harder. Choose on that is brown or brownish pink. Like all anemones, they require well established tanks and top quality water. This usually means waiting about a year after you set up the tank. The anemone should be ok with clowns and damsels, but it's not a favorite of clowns, so don't expect them to host in one, although sometimes they do.

AJK

Hi Dave, thanx for reply. Does this anemone require T5 light? Also are they harmful? LFS has anemone for $6 each, really want to get one.

reefer gladness

"The Condy Anemone requires strong light and should never be purchased if a good lighting system is not in place. It will do well in an aquarium with live rock and several crustaceans. Although a Condy requires a reef environment, it is not the best suited for the reef aquarium. The Condy Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals. Do not include its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab. Unlike other anemones, the Condy Anemone does not have a relationship with any particular fish, and it is rare for any type of clownfish or damsel to reside within them. "

AJK

Hi friend, thanx for all the precautions. LFS shared condy is not very popular. Condy want to eat everything in the tank, but clowns are smart enough to keep away. Didn't mention anything about Damsel. But don't have any anemones or corals in 20 gal.

I think they look very cool :) I've been observing for a few hrs, so far condy is doing well. Hope it stay's that way. Clown/Damsel are swimming thier normal routine. Clown/Damsel been living together for 16 months, I've learned anything is possible :)

reefer gladness

Hope it goes well for you, at least you don't have to worry about it getting to any other corals. I don't think they bother mushrooms if you want to add some more color on down the road.

All nems tend to move around until they find a spot with water flow and lighting they like so it will probably wander for awhile. If things go bad for any reason (like getting caught in a powerhead) just be prepared to remove it in a hurry before it fouls up the water. A turkey baster comes in useful again here as you can suck out the pieces of necessary.

jerry26

if it does get caught in a powerhead just shut it off and wait. alot of times theyll get themselves out of it and removing them may tear them more. and +1^ watch that thing like a hawk for the first few days. ive lost two to powerheads. see how the second one bit the dust here http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-hitchhiker-id/81497-bta-sebae.html the first one walked into one in the middle of the night. woke up and he was shredded. mine were bubble tips and ive never had a condy so idk if they act differently.

DaveK

Hi Dave, thanx for reply. Does this anemone require T5 light? Also are they harmful? LFS has anemone for $6 each, really want to get one.
Yes, that anemone does have high light requirements. Most all anemones do. I never have have them go after other corals or fish and never found them to wander any more that other anemones. At $6 they are a bargain, if they are in good health. I will also say that you usually tend have much better luck with a BTA. Yea, I know, they are a lot more expensive.