ATI Sunpower Par Readings

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Today I took some PAR readings of the tank I am setting up. It is a 90 gallon, 48x18x24. It has a 5" sandbed

My fixture is a ATI Sunpower, 4x54 watt. I am running 2 UVL Aquasuns, 1 UVL 75/25, and a ATI Blue Plus (its a lagoon tank, not much blue light in lagoons, none really)

Here are the PAR readings of the fixture

PAR.jpg

I am getting 308 PAR at the top of the sand bed, 19" deep. I know its commonly believed that T5s can't really reach 20", but with good bulbs, good reflectors, and a good fixture with active cooling, I believe you can do 30" with ease. Here I am at 19" getting 308 with a 4 bulb fixture. I would get more with a 6 bulb fixture, and I am pretty sure if I were to remove the sand that I would have at least 200 PAR at 24" with my 4 bulb setup. That's plenty for the base of the tank.

So this is empirical data that T5s are just as bright as MH, and penetrate just as well. With a system 30" and under, the choice between MH and T5 comes down to other factors - they both perform great

:soap:

ATI T5 fixtures just rock

Miltonic

What are you using to measure the PAR? I would like to know what PAR im getting with my 8 bulb ATI Powermodule on my 90g and yes ATI fixtures rock!!!

Miltonic

Thanks and I guess im going to have to find someone who has one to measure my PAR since buying one is not an option.

cbrownfish

I am getting 308 PAR at the top of the sand bed, 19" deep. I know its commonly believed that T5s can't really reach 20", but with good bulbs, good reflectors, and a good fixture with active cooling, I believe you can do 30" with ease. Here I am at 19" getting 308 with a 4 bulb fixture. I would get more with a 6 bulb fixture, and I am pretty sure if I were to remove the sand that I would have at least 200 PAR at 24" with my 4 bulb setup. That's plenty for the base of the tank.

So this is empirical data that T5s are just as bright as MH, and penetrate just as well. With a system 30" and under, the choice between MH and T5 comes down to other factors - they both perform great

:soap:

ATI T5 fixtures just rock

ATI rates their fixtures/T5's for 30" depth with "careful placement of corals". T5's will reach 20" but they typically lose significant intensity beyond 20-22". The subject of T5's versus halides can be debated, and has, to the end of time. DE halides are going to give you the best depth penetration in a deeper tank - hands down. T5's are going to give you better spread/coverage in a shallow to moderate depth tank - hands down.

Both are good light sources and both have advantages/disadvantages.

astiesi

Great post, thanks for sharing. I've actually been researching 36" fixtures and was curious how well a 4 bulb ATI fixture would perform against some of the non-ATI 6 bulb fixtures. ATI claims their 4 bulb fixtures perform as well or better than most 6 bulb fixtures but I have yet to see any PAR values until now. Again, thanks for posting!

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
ATI rates their fixtures/T5's for 30" depth with "careful placement of corals". T5's will reach 20" but they typically lose significant intensity beyond 20-22". The subject of T5's versus halides can be debated, and has, to the end of time. DE halides are going to give you the best depth penetration in a deeper tank - hands down. T5's are going to give you better spread/coverage in a shallow to moderate depth tank - hands down.

Both are good light sources and both have advantages/disadvantages.

You could say the same thing, about careful placement of corals, for MH in 30" tanks unless you are talking 400w. The readings I get for 150w DE Phoenix 14k with magnetic ballast at 20", which is all I can measure at home, is 257 at the bottom, slightly lower than this.

I would get better readings with a T5 6 or 7 bulb unit, and better yet with T5 VHO. A good friend has a Solar Flare on his 120 and it really performs.

You can argue the setups; most tanks top out at 24", very few are deeper. In that range, T5 should not be dismissed is all I am saying

I actually have kept more than a few anemones and all my nem tanks have MH. The right tool for the right job

cbrownfish

Your points are well taken but many standard tanks above 200 gallons are 30" deep, many bow front tanks are 28"+ deep and large cube tanks are often >24" deep. I am not sure that 216W of T5 = 150W of 14K halide makes an accurate comparison. Water clarity is also a significant factor. I personally would never run less than 250W halides on a 24" deep tank. P14K's versus Iwasaki or Giesemann are going to make a difference as well. I run P14K 250W DE's and love them, though there are a few bulbs with a higher PAR ratings.

cbrownfish

BTW, I would not hesitate to run T5's on a set up but I do prefer halides and the "natural" look (shimmer, light rays, etc). :)

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Your points are well taken but many standard tanks above 200 gallons are 30" deep, many bow front tanks are 28"+ deep and large cube tanks are often >24" deep. I am not sure that 216W of T5 = 150W of 14K halide makes an accurate comparison. Water clarity is also a significant factor. I personally would never run less than 250W halides on a 24" deep tank. P14K's versus Iwasaki or Giesemann are going to make a difference as well. I run P14K 250W DE's and love them, though there are a few bulbs with a higher PAR ratings.

Two different tanks, two different purposes. the MH is over a 20" deep tank with an anemone, the T5s are over a 24" deep tank with a DSB that is a lagoon system and the lighting is not intended to be maxed for PAR. If it was, I would have a different lighting strategy - probably a Constellation or 6 bulb ATI, maybe a Solar Flare

I wasn't trying to get into specifics of Iwasaki vs Phoenix vs Geisemann, just testing what I can test, which is Phoenix. I wasn't comparing the two per se, but that's all I can measure here, so offering the contrast

I work in a fish store, and I can't tell you anyone who has a 200+ gallon tank.