ASM skimmer ?

danfish

just got my new asm g3 (no mods )and was wondering how high should the water level be ? a pic would be greatly appreciated.

thx in advance

prow

they say 8-10 inches but mine is at 14 inches and works just as good as when i had it at 10 inches. i have a old pic if you want more i can get some but all my batteries are dead beinng charged now so if you want more pics just let me know. this pic is before the mod. i did the gate valve mod which i think is a must. can get a pic for ya in the am of that. the recir mod i never did so can not say much about that.

Attachments

• Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

swissgaurd

i just purchased the g2,im just breaking it in ,how high do you keep the foam level,or better yet if you plug the venturi hose how high is your water level in the skimmer.

thanks

vic

danfish

prow thx for the info but i meant the water level in the skimmer, how high should i adjust the outlet pipe and where should the water level be in the skimmer ? shoud it be near the neck, the body ect...... thx in advance

SueT

I have an ASM g3 and the directions said to start the skimmer with the riser tube near the top. I didn't have enough water in my sump and kept getting weird noises from the pump but things are fine now and I have slowly lowered the tube and this thing is a skimming machine.

aquaman3680

well this depends, do you want to skim wet or dry. For dryI would suggest about an ich above the bottom of the collection cup wet about 2-3 inches.

SueT

since I get a bit confused in the dry vs. wet skimming, can I ask what is the benefit of doing either?? Thanks..

aquaman3680

wet means that you need to clean it more often, and you get more of the "crap" pulled out and dry is very nasty smelling and is alot more green than if you were to skim wet but doesnt need to be cleaned as often.

prow

danfish said:
prow thx for the info but i meant the water level in the skimmer, how high should i adjust the outlet pipe and where should the water level be in the skimmer ? shoud it be near the neck, the body ect...... thx in advance
for wet skimming i keep the water level in the skimmer, just before it turns to foam, about the level where the collection cup connects. for more dry skimming about a inch below that.

aquaman3680

prow said:
for wet skimming i keep the water level in the skimmer, just before it turns to foam, about the level where the collection cup connects. for more dry skimming about a inch below that.

What model do you have? I have a G2, dey for me is at the collection cup and wet is 2 inches above it

prow

i have the G3. my friend has the G2 i am not sure what his levels are. i do know the levels for dry or wet depend on how deep the water level is that the skimmer is in. the deeper it is the more work it takes to suck air in. if its in shallow water i would think you need to keep the water level in the skimmer higher to get the same results in the collection cup. also with the G2 the pump is smaller so that too means it has to work harder.

FYI get the gate valve mod ASAP. it makes adjusting so easy.

prow

the gate valve mod elimnates the sponge. but before that i never used the sponge. you just have to make sure its low enough in the sump. the flow comes out like an umbrella with out the sponge and no mod.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
SueT said:
since I get a bit confused in the dry vs. wet skimming, can I ask what is the benefit of doing either?? Thanks..

RHF:

Foam draining is a critical stage for most skimmers. One problem with drainage is that some organics are washed away with the draining water. There is always an equilibrium between organics in solution, and those actually attached to the interface. As water continues to drain, some of the organics are lost. Further, as some bubbles pop and their organics are redistributed into the nearby water, the local concentration of organics in the water between the bubbles in the foam can rise to concentrations far higher than are present in the aquarium. For this reason, the most effective skimming, in terms of total organic removal, comes from removing somewhat wet foam, rather than waiting for this same wet foam to drain prior to removal. The primary difference between wet foam, and drained dry foam, is that additional water and some organics have drained away. A dry form is more efficient in terms of the amount of organic removed in relation to the water volume, and all skimmers and their potential adjustments strike some balance between removing more water and slightly more organics, or less water and slightly fewer organics. Perhaps a careful analysis of different types of skimming will, in the future, show this expected result experimentally.

What is skimming