Asking for help once again!! PH problems.

Clint24

So my ph meter has been reading 7.7-7.8 a couple weeks ago. I started dosing with Kent marine dkh/ph super buffer. I got my ph meter up to 7.9 but now my Kh is 13. I did a water change today & tested my water.
Results as followed with salifert kits

Salinity--1.025 (refractometer)
Temp--79.8
Ph--7.9 (Ph meter)
Kh--13. (11 with API)
Calcium--360
Magnesium--1170
Strontium--16-18
Phosphates--0 (0.4 with Hanna checker)
Nitrates--25
Nitrites--0
Ammonia--0

I checked my ph meter with new calibration fluid & it is accurate. So how do I raise my ph without raising my Kh anymore but further more why can I not get my ph to stabilize??? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

First off, how is your livestock doing? If it's doing well, don't be in too much of a hurry to mess with water parameters.

Here's an article on water parameters (offsite) - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Note that for pH 7.8 is ok. Sure we'd all like to see the numbers come out exact, but your not that far off.

Your magnesium and calcium levels are a little low. Again, not that big issue as long as everything else is ok. Your alkalinity is high, most likely from adding buffers.

All of these parameters are interrelated. If you push on one, it tends to effect the others. Here is another article you may be interested in (offsite) - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

There are also a lot of factors that can alter pH. One of the big ones is the level of CO2 in the water. You may need more circulation in the tank. You will also see pH change during the day. If you have a controller that can monitor pH you might find that your pH is only low at certain times of the day.

If you are going to alter your water parameters, I'd work on magnesium first, and then calcium and alkalinity, and lastly pH.

As usual, I recommend checking your newly mixed SW and see where these parameter are. You might find that you want to change salt brands.

Clint24

Thanks for the reply DaveK. U r right, my ph drops to 7.8/7.9 at night but will come up to 7.9/8.0 during the day. I did notice cac/mag were low also. Started workin on that. Livestock all seems to be doin fine, great polyp extension & all. I'm gonna read the articles u mentioned. Thanks again.

Clint24

One more thing...since my tank is now in basement, would I benefit from plumbing my air intake in my skimmer to fresh outside air?